How big of disappointment is your new (used) bike?

After I got the beast home and looked it over a couple times I couldn't find any real issues. I rode it twice around the yard and still found and problems. I am really wanting to get on the trail and ride this thing Well last night I was putting a throttle cable on that wouldn't fit. I realized it wasn't for my bike. So I ran the vin and it came back as a 2005 instead of a 2007 which is what the guy told me. I am very disappointed. We all no to stay clear of the 05 because of on going suspicion issues they have. Well I now am a prod owner of this juck what should I do?

Not much to do now except use it. Too late for research.

Is it an 05 RM250? They are good handling, hard hitting MX bikes.. get the suspension done if you dont like it after riding it for a while. Not much, if anything changed from 2005 onwards on all of the Japanese 2 strokes. 

It's a yz250. I bought it from a young guy that had a good story with the bike that sounded lagit. I did get the bill of sale with the vin on it. I didn't really think about it then. I mean why lie about the year anyways? Maybe he didn't know either.

10th number of the VIN always tells you what year the bike (frame at least) is. And by "on going suspicion issues" I'm taking it you mean suspension. The '05 has the 48mm open chamber fork and the same shock as my bike does, if you're trail riding it, this setup works very well. The SSS ('06 to present) stuff works better for straight track usage, but unless you're a very fast A/AA rider, 250 lbs, or have prepped track smooth trails, it's all going to be like riding a jack hammer until you revalve it. Buddy of mine rides an '05 YZ and is stonkin fast on it. My bike has the 46 mm versions of the fork your '05 has, I put Race Tech Gold Valves in both ends and it's butter smooth through the roots and rocks. The SSS stuff is nice and all, but far from a necessity for woods riding. Bummer to get scammed (lesson learned I hope), but you in no way have "junk"..  ?

• Like 1

It's a yz250. I bought it from a young guy that had a good story with the bike that sounded lagit. I did get the bill of sale with the vin on it. I didn't really think about it then. I mean why lie about the year anyways? Maybe he didn't know either.

I went from a 2001 yz250 to my 2005 yz250. Both are fantastic bikes. Suspension on both was really good. Not sure why the big deal. If you read 2005 reviews none of the magazines had anything bad to say about the suspension. I eventually did have the 05 suspension revalved by a local a guy and now its even better! 

Yeah it's not a big deal. So far I love the bike. I'm at best a c rider so I probably wouldn't even know the difference in the suspension anyways. This is only the second bike I have had in the last 20 yrs. the other one was a rm. I knew the guy that had it for several years so I new there were no hidden issues with it. I just don't get dishonest people. I would never mislead someone on a sale. Live and learn I guess.

Edited by rm250cy

Well, you didn't get a junk bike unless it's a real POS. 05 had a transition and the bike can be made sweet in the suspenders with a little time and revalving if necessary. If you paid to much for it, then it's a bummer. Quite possible the guy didn't know it was an 05 also. Enjoy it since it's yours now.

The bikes I buy and restore are a whole other group. I have run a cross all kinds of WRONG stuff. From parts to installations of parts.

Edited by PALMER84ONE

Lot's of people pass 05's off as newer due to the SSS suspension found on the 06 and up models. The SSS suspension is better because it offers the ability for them to be tuned to ANY rider anywhere regardless of skill level. They are the end all suspension due to their versatility. Nothing at all wrong with the 05 suspension for 90% of riders. The fast experts and pros will be limited however with it.

You paid a bit much but it's still a fantastic bike and the YZ's are very inexpensive to maintain and easy to work on.

The '05 has the 48mm open chamber fork and the same shock as my bike does, if you're trail riding it, this setup works very well.

Correct me as needed, but I'm pretty sure the '05 came with the first year twin chamber fork, the "AOSS" fork that was on the '05 YZF models.  The '04 had 48mm open bath forks.  The AOSS is not as good out of the box as the '06 and later SSS fork is, but it is a distinct improvement over the old forks, nevertheless.  And, they can be reworked to about 85-90% of what's possible with the SSS stuff.

• Like 1