Sign in to follow this  

Body armor + hydration

Currently have a zacspeed chest/back armor with built in hydration and back pack. I like everything about it besides that its kind of falling apart with under 100 hours.

I wear armor and water every time I ride so I like it being one if possible but not opposed to getting separate units if they work well together.

I have looked at the Leatt 4.5 hydra online but haven't really seen reviews or one in person.

I've also been looking of the soft armor undershirts, those would be cool to wear a jersey over them, but are there downsides, like being hot, having to wash often, hard putting on taking off?

I've also seen the hydration packs that's like a fanny pack on your backside, differences with that and traditional backpack style?

My head is spinning trying to make the right decision, and I think I'll just patch mine together to get me by til I come up with something.

Curious what you guys use that work or opinions. Being light, breathable, easy to use all things I want.

i ride with a 3.0L hydration pack with tools etc every ride.

I also have hard arm protection and WAS wearing a OLD roost protector but found it was uncomfortable with the pack so ditched and have now been riding without upper torso protection for about 2 years BUT this is a choice I have made and I am NOT RECOMMENDING this and have been looking at options..

Now with that said, there are a number of topics about this in this forum BUT I am looking at some soft upper body options like ...

http://www.acerbis.it/moto/en/prodotto_detail.php?idp=755

https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products/51000320

What I'm looking at is what's on the top of the shoulders. Basically how the shoulder straps of the pack will sit.

I have a buddy who has has been using the TLD armour all summer and really likes it for fit and did not find it was too hot. We can ride in temps around 35C during the summer.

I spent around $100 on my hydration pack. It's still in great shape so I not looking at a system but if I was I would look at the Leatt stuff http://www.leatt.com/shop/hydration/hydration-packs.html

And really I'm using Race Face knee/elbow protection and there are some good cross over options from downhill mountain biking to dirt biking to get a compromise of protection/ventilation/hydration.

I have a 1.5 litre hydration pack that has a lot of pockets that I have been using for years.  I also have a fanny pack that will hold a couple bottles of water that I use when its not real hot out.  But, I just ordered an Atlas Defender upper body protection, I'm curious to see how it will work with my hydration pack.  Having had badly bruised ribs twice last year I figured upper body protection was long overdue.  And the Defender is the only one that will fit with my Atlas neck brace which I will NOT give up.

I wear an OGIO flight vest every ride with a Camelbak inside the pouch. Add a few bottles of water in the side pouches on really long, hot rides in Summer. I like the balance of the vest, front and back. Can't tell I'm wearing it.

• Like 1

IMO, the under-jersey soft armor is ok for MX but not for trails. I want some foam backed hard armor between myself and the sharp pointy things out there. Also, if running the soft armor I would have to run separate elbow/forearm protection. That said, I use a compression jacket which has the big spine protector. Never had a problem running any brand hydration pack with it. Currently running a cheap Walmart 2l hydration and it stays put.

IMO, the under-jersey soft armor is ok for MX but not for trails. I want some foam backed hard armor between myself and the sharp pointy things out there. Also, if running the soft armor I would have to run separate elbow/forearm protection. That said, I use a compression jacket which has the big spine protector. Never had a problem running any brand hydration pack with it. Currently running a cheap Walmart 2l hydration and it stays put.

Yep, the hard armor vs. soft armor thing is why I decided to get the Atlas Defender rather than wait for the soft Guardian.  I've always worried about being impaled, and finally did something about it.

LOL--my cheap Walmart back pack with cheap water bottle inside work great. Total cost about $30.

That might be OK for where and how you ride but there are advantages to having a good hydration back and IMO worth the $80 I spent on mine.

Where I ride in the summer it can get up to 95F and I can drink 3L of water in a 1 to 2 hour ride and I'm not stopping to take my pack off every time I want a drink.

This is getting of the armour part of this topic but I ride remote area and carry tools etc and a good pack fits well and spots for my stuff.

Here's my pack and the stuff I normally carry on every ride.

20160114_171836_zpsx8eb9r6f.jpg

20160114_172426_zpschxfvzuv.jpg

And I can still carry some beers

I understand.  As you can tell by my bike, my riding is probably less serious than yours, and I don't usually get too far from civilization, and usually with a group.  I can tell from the stuff you carry that you have had some experience.  ENJOY!

• Like 1

I went a bit unconventional with my set up. I could never get used to riding with a backpak, or even a Camelback. The straps just never sat right on me. I use a chestprotector/shoulder pads to which I have mounted lacrosse rib pads. I've found that set up has very good air flow in the hottest of conditions

For hydration I carry a 70oz bag in a KTM fanny back with a lenthened tube.I also carry my cellphone in it.

As the knees are not quite what they used to be 🙄 , I don't like to carry a lot of weight on my body. So, for tools I used to use a Moose Racing tool bag mounted on the rear fender. Now I've moved the underseat electrics around enough to put an adequate tool pouch in the air box.

Edited by drtbkjoe

I understand.  As you can tell by my bike, my riding is probably less serious than yours, and I don't usually get too far from civilization, and usually with a group.  I can tell from the stuff you carry that you have had some experience.  ENJOY!

Didn't actually look at your profile pic nor your sig and yes that is vintage 👍

Ya I try to be opened minded (and I'm not saying your aren't) as to what/where/why people ride and its easy to assume.

And when it comes down to it, IMO it's about having fun safely is a sport we all are all into.

Edited by filterx