Sign in to follow this  

XR70 Oil leaking

I've got a slow oil leak at one of the head bolt nuts (bottom left). I tried to torque it down more but don't think it worked. Seems odd to be leaking at the nut. I guess i need to pull the cylinder and head and replace all the gaskets? And replace the shafts for good measure. It has 88cc kit on it too.

Is this a normal issue with these? Mine's an 03 xr70.

I've got a slow oil leak at one of the head bolt nuts (bottom left). I tried to torque it down more but don't think it worked. Seems odd to be leaking at the nut. I guess i need to pull the cylinder and head and replace all the gaskets? And replace the shafts for good measure. It has 88cc kit on it too.

Is this a normal issue with these? Mine's an 03 xr70.

Hey Bud,

Has the engine been apart?  One has a brass specific washer that needs to be in place and if its missing it might leak from that stud and nut.  But if that is in place, no, it isnt normal.  there is nothing wrong with a gasket change, but i wouldnt mess with te crank unless it is worn and needs to be replaced.  these engines are pretty tough and rarely require nothing more than routine maintenance.

Let me know more when you can.  I dont get on the computer but a few times a week so it might take a while to rely.

I have an 88cc kit installed on my z50.  Just started it up and its super smoky.  Oil is also leaking from that stud/bolt - the one with the copper washer and threads exposed.  That is also the path the oil takes from the pump up to the head.  Maybe something is supposed to seal it but I haven't gotten a response back from tbolt usa.

Find the you tube video of the 88 kit their is two o rings that have to be fitted at the base gasket if I remember correctly, and one stud has a copper washer on it. This is for oil flow to head.