Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about buying a bike.

My buddy has a kx65 I think an 02 model, that I sold he about 4 years ago. He's not very mechanically inclined. So he had it, it ran great. It quit running, it sat up for about a year. So he bought a new carburetor it ran for 3 days then it quit running again. I was thinking about buying it back from him for 100$ for a pit bike. I was thinking Maybe it had bad gas or a gas lines clogged. But I'm not sure. What do y'all think is wrong with it. I'm going over there later to check it out.

Did he mix the fuel? When ever I come across a story of a non- mechanical owner and a known running 2T first thing comes to mind is they leaned it out.

It may need a bit more work than unclogging a fuel line,like a top and bottom end.

But for $100 go for it. By a manual and learn to wrench on it.

That's what I was thinking. I know he mixed oil for it but who knows how much he put in there. And how much do y'all think it would be to rebuild it? I got over there and he had to kick it one hard time to unfreeze cause of the cold weather. Also while I was over there I seem a crf70 that has great compression and is in great shape, I'm almost 100% positive it needs the carb cleaned. For 40$!! I think I'll get the kx tho.

I know a lot about dirtbikes. And I've watched people work on them and could tell you how every part is suppose to go. But I've never actually done it my self. The carb and changing breaks, oil changing tires throttle cables I can do that just never actually messed with internals my self. But I guess for 100$ it wouldn't hurt to try.

I've been working on that crf70 all day! The carb is clogged so bad!! Gummed up and finding new problems one right after the other. I'm letting it sit over night in gas and gum out. If that doesn't break some of it down I'm going to just buy a new carb. But I still think 40$ is a steal. I did get it to crank for a second and it smokes BAD!! But I checked the oil it when I opened the cap it was running out. Hopefully I can get it to quit. If not I'm just gonna put some no smoke in it and ride it for a while.

That was one of the problems though. I'm not sure how many turns the jets are suppose to be at. They where screwed all the way in. And I know there not suppose to be like that. And I've read stuff online on how to adjust them but not exactly sure how to. It says 1 and 1/4. Does that mean how much I'm suppose to back out or what? I know how to take them out and put them back in like there suppose to be. I don't know how how to set them. I guess this is a good learning experience lol

The turns you're speaking of are not the jets. It's the mixture screw. The idle screw is on the left with the spring visible on it. NOT that one! Look close, near to that idle screw, on the left side. You'll see a little brass flat head tucked away in the side of the carb, on the upstream side (closer to the air filter than the cylinder). That's your mixture screw, or air screw. Turn it all the way in (gently!) until it seats, or bottoms out. Then count the number of turns out. This adjusts your air/fuel ratio at idle.

Edit: oops didn't realize you weren't talking about the kx. Well, the principle is still the same on carbs. And jets should be turned all the way in. You don't want them falling out. But just snug them. The brass is very soft, so it doesn't take much to seat the jets or emulsion tube (also called the main jet holder).

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

Yep had one fall out today in the 70 lol. But I think I'm fixing to buy that kx and just going to rebuild it. And try to sell it. What do y'all think I can get for it? It's an 03