Sign in to follow this  

California Requesting Carnegie SVRA info confirmation

Good Day, All.

I would appreciate some feedback confirming the info I've found on the Web about Carnegie. I am planning a trip there in winter/spring 2016. FYI, I am coming from Nevada and my bike is a 2012 KTM 300xc, with a spark arrestor.

1)I'm allowed to ride a 2-stroke there from 11/1-4/30? Also, IS that the only allowable time of the year??

2)Besides the aforementioned SA, my only requirement would be the Nonresident OHV Use Permit?

3 Are there facilities such as cabins? If not, I could camp in my boxvan. Is overnight camping allowed?It looks like there is. I don't need a RV hookup, though an electricity hookup would be nice.What ARE the camping facilities?

4)I have read that I have to bring in my own water. Not a problem. Is the store there open year round? Should I bring all my supplies?

5) How far is the park from Tracy?(It looks like that is the nearest town) . Any recommendations on hotels(just in case the wife comes along.

6) It looks like my fees are (per day) $5 parking, $10 riding, $10 camping?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Your bike should be fine during those months with the permit you mentioned and a spark arrestor.  I've been told that bikes with non-resident permits can ride all year, but I can't confirm that.  Normally that bike would be restricted in summer months if registered in California.  Overnight camping is allowed, but no electricity.  No cabins - just a big gravel area with covered picnic tables and fire rings.  They do have pretty nice bathrooms and showers now, and I believe water is available (not sure if it's drinkable).  The store is open every day and has a pretty fair selection of parts, gear, etc.  Tracy is about 15 minutes away and is the closest city.  No idea about hotels.  $10 per night camping includes riding.  $5 per day to park and ride if you end up in a hotel.  I've camped there in my RV as well as a pickup bed.  You can expect very strong winds at night but in a van you should be fine.  You can call them at (925)447-9027 for more info.  It may be none of my business, but I would NOT drive from Nevada to camp and ride at Carnegie.  I only ride there because it is 30 minutes from home.  Nevada is a much better place to ride this time of year IMO.  

• Like 1

If you are traveling through the area or coming to the area for other purposes then by all means stop by Carnegie and enjoy a day.  If you are traveling from Nevada to Tracy just to ride Carnegie, you may be disappointed.  On a 300cc 2t the entire park can be ridden in about 30 minutes… Then what do you do for the rest of the day?  Ride it backwards?

It is a small urban park for families with young children of various riding skills. It is not really a riding destination.  Its main purpose is family recreation and/or a place for local riding buddies to hang out together, quaff a couple drinks with chips, and ride their dirt bike for a couple hours.  Camping is spartan an open dirt area with tables.  You have much better riding in Nevada for just going riding sake…

As to the legalities, California State Parks has an OHV web site with the current rendition of whatever they are.

If you do drop by, have a great time.  After all it is dirt bike riding!

If you are traveling through the area or coming to the area for other purposes then by all means stop by Carnegie and enjoy a day.  If you are traveling from Nevada to Tracy just to ride Carnegie, you may be disappointed.  On a 300cc 2t the entire park can be ridden in about 30 minutes… Then what do you do for the rest of the day?  Ride it backwards?

It is a small urban park for families with young children of various riding skills. It is not really a riding destination.  Its main purpose is family recreation and/or a place for local riding buddies to hang out together, quaff a couple drinks with chips, and ride their dirt bike for a couple hours.  Camping is spartan an open dirt area with tables.  You have much better riding in Nevada for just going riding sake…

As to the legalities, California State Parks has an OHV web site with the current rendition of whatever they are.

If you do drop by, have a great time.  After all it is dirt bike riding!

If your riding it all in 30 minutes you must just be staying on the green loops. There's plenty of challenging trails there.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

If your riding it all in 30 minutes you must just be staying on the green loops. There's plenty of challenging trails there.

^^^ put it nicer than I would have . 

Lots of stuff to explore there if you can climb your way back up and out . 

You will not get a lot a mileage there but if you venture off of the green trails you will find some unforgettable

hill climbs and short sections of real fun single track . 

Carnegie is the school of hard knocks in more ways than one .  

Worth the drive from Nevada as the sole destination .......no....... but if you are out this way and have the time

and a guide you won't forget it . Carnegie is mostly all about hill climbs .

• Like 1

First, thanks to everyone for replying.

Since I moved out here a couple of years ago, I have been looking for "Durhamtown West". DTown is an all-in-one place for camping, trails, and a mx track. What I've found is Sopiago up north, which I don't think is still open, and Carnegie.I have plenty of great trails at home, I'm looking for a vacation spot "dirt bike resort". Are there any other suggestions?

Edited by drtbkjoe

Our earlier posts made me check the TT "where to ride" section again. What does the Group think about Competition Edge, Racetown 395, or Elevation Offroad?

So I live about 10 minutes from Carnegie and frequently find myself there. The hard thing about this area is its kindve all about compromise. Carnegie and Frank Raines are both very small but I wouldn't let that sway you to much. People here get sour on Carnegie because you know, the grass is always greener somewhere else. So anyway, things to note about Carnegie:

MX track

-gets pretty beat up and they could definitely do a better job to keep it up

-when groomed (usually done on Thursdays I think) can be a really fun, fast pace track.

-hard to beat for what you'll pay for entry, and if you want a better track then go pay an extra $25 and rip around Club Moto for a while. It's like 30min from Carnegie.

Trails

-not expansive but tons of fun

-although short there are some really fun little single track sections

-some absolutely insane hill climbs

-at least a few days worth of fun, to be honest I've been going there for years and always seem to find something new, or even just try to get faster on the stuff I know.

Motomart

-usually overpriced, but usually worth it due to convenience

-carries a fairly wide array of parts, gear, and snacks

Camping

**I haven't camped there in a long time due to the fact I am like 10 min away**

-I don't think there are utility hookups

-noise curfew (pretty sure it's 10pm)

-fires are allowed

Long story short you asked for opinions and all that usually gets is haters, Carnegie is fun, and even if it's not your be all end all choice, it's definitely worth giving it a shot. Hope that helps, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

• Like 1

Definitely worth seeing once, for adventurous soul and then decide. Bunch of hill climbs , some motocross and minibike tracks , competition

hill climbs, and motocross races, store well stocked with gear and parts, some food chips, dogs, burritos, sodas ect... :D , 2-stroke good Oct thru May

^^^ put it nicer than I would have . 

Lots of stuff to explore there if you can climb your way back up and out . 

You will not get a lot a mileage there but if you venture off of the green trails you will find some unforgettable

hill climbs and short sections of real fun single track . 

Carnegie is the school of hard knocks in more ways than one .  

Worth the drive from Nevada as the sole destination .......no....... but if you are out this way and have the time

and a guide you won't forget it . Carnegie is mostly all about hill climbs .

I have to admit sometime I forget opinion of the park is subject to riding ability and some parameters for comments can help…

If you have trouble riding the perimeter of the park in and out of both canyons up to the rims on a hill climb and back to the front gate within about 30 minutes you now have a challenge…  We used to go out with a stop watch and time each other just for fun…  The park is what almost two miles east/west and about one mile north/south…. two sections or about 1,300 acres or so?

I can’t remember our exact route as the last time we were there was 2003… its been too long.  I had an XR600 (pretending to be Scott Summers) back then so maybe it wasn’t too fair a challenge on a 600, eh ;-)

OP – a better riding state park destination for a few days would be Hungry Valley in Gorman, CA when the FS trails are open.  Good 4 to 7 hour loops can be ridden which can challenge the best of ‘em.  And if your bike has a plate, all day DS rides are the norm.  I really enjoy taking my DRZ400 there in the late spring and early summer to DS ride.

I rode Carnegie alot when i was getting started riding, still ride it once in a while and worth seeing for a day. I mostly ride Holister Hills now-a-days, which is about 1.5-2 hours south of Carnegie. If you're traveling as far as you are, i would definitely check it out. Much bigger, longer and more challenging trails, plus they have a few tracks. More camping space, and the scenery is more woodsy.

Edited by Jestone

yes, do check Hollister as well as Carnegie. Same style State of CA OHV park, but different terrain, more trees, not as many hill climbs.

I have been riding Carnegie on & off since 1997, it's the closest legal riding area to my house.  For the first 10+ years I thought Carnegie was small and disappointing.  One day I went riding with a friend and his buddy who "knew the place".  WOW, was I surprised.  I was used to riding on marked trails and following signs/maps.  If you know Carnegie, and you know how to ride, that place will give you all the challenges you need and I don't care how good you are.  I am not saying Carnegie is big, but I can tell you that you can ride Carnegie in a way that does not compare to Hollister, Stonyford, PiPi, Forest Hill, etc.  The "open riding areas" at Carnegie have allowed some folks to create some crazy obstacles, and when you go and follow someone that knows their way around and can link them all together, you will be challenged (or have fun depending on your skill level).  Same with Frank Raines, it's fun.  Again, new guys won't be able to find the fun stuff and link it all together until they have had a few dozen visits to Carnegie (or Frank Reines), but if you are lucky enough to meet a guide, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and I have practiced/raced the MX track at Carnegie many times, when it's prepped it's a great track.  The track is not for the highly advanced moto guy, but a beginner/novice/intermediate rider will have fun on that track for sure.

Well said, J-Dub.....You covered everything. I will add one other thing and it's this: If you can ride Carnegie, you can ride anywhere.

Thanks for all the responses, this is precisely the info I was hoping for. All three have positives.

I was wondering, what is cell/internet service like in the parks, both in camp and on the trail?I use the iPhone"garmin" and google maps. Do I need a real Garmin?

For things like flat tires, what is the support(except for Carnegie, of course).

And thanks again!

I have Verizon and get no service at Carnegie at all. Not sure about other carriers.

Here is some footage I got from today to give you an idea on what some of the trails are like:  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses, this is precisely the info I was hoping for. All three have positives.

I was wondering, what is cell/internet service like in the parks, both in camp and on the trail?I use the iPhone"garmin" and google maps. Do I need a real Garmin?

For things like flat tires, what is the support(except for Carnegie, of course).

And thanks again!

Cell service is nill.....you might get a ping in 1 percent of the park (my phone actually rang once in a gully &%$#@!?!?)

As far as your question about flat tires, not sure what you're asking.....There is a store that has flat support, but YOU have to get the bike to

the Motomart, and Tony will change it for you at whatever $$ he charges....Bring a stand, pull the wheel and hand it to him.

Edited by dyrtmon

And thanks again!

If you get a flat tire "out in the middle of nowhere Carnegie", I would suggest pushing your bike

back to Moto Mart where they will fix it. The place really isn't that big lol