Sign in to follow this  

How many CF Nitrogen tank?

Was going to start servicing my shocks myself. By watching videos as far as the steps go ......looks almost to easy to do.......so easy that a 7th grader could do it. And I'm sure....just like anything else......there is some stuff they don't tell ya in these videos that when you get everything all back together......and the shock back on the bike .......something feels wrong.

When you finally find the problem, it was because of a bleed procedure or a purging procedure with the nitrogen that they didn't mention.

I have all the tools required. Seal bullet,seal head driver...ect. Just need a Nitrogen tank that will perform at least two or three recharges a season. I will be maintaining a 2011 YZ450 and a 2015 YZ250(2-Stroke). I figure a 20cf tank would be good enough.

Is this the regulator that I would need for the tank? It's on e-bay with a bid of $24.00 .... I would just then have to find the right hose and hook ups.

The gauge s a UNIWELD RHP400 NITROGEN REGULATOR WITH 0-400 DELIVERY PRESSURE.

Here is the info on it.

Uniweld RHP400 is a durable brass piston designed diaphragm Nitrogen Regulator with a Delivery Pressure 0-400 PSI for purging and pressure testing air conditioning and refrigeration systems. Regulator with CGA580 inlet connection, 1/4 inch male flare outlet connection, self re-seating relief valve (not designed to protect downstream system) and easy to read 2 inch Contents Gauge 0-4000 PSI (Part No. G7SD) and Delivery Gauge 0-600 PSI (Part No. G8SD) with protective ruer gauge boots (Part No. GB20S). For smooth accurate delivery pressure adjustment there is a large brass Tee Handle with stainless steel pressure adjusting screw and regulator bushing that prevents galling. Regulator can be used with CO2 with the Uniweld part no. F36 adaptor, CO2 Cylinder (CGA320) to Nitrogen Regulator (CGA580) (purchased separately).

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453675492.402763.jpg

You could save yourself tons of hassle by just buying a quality fork pump and using that ,honestly you won't know the difference

• Like 2

You could save yourself tons of hassle by just buying a quality fork pump and using that ,honestly you won't know the difference

I understand what you mean.  Just let me ask you this.....   I race in a series where I travel about 3 hours to the farthest track.   We start racing the 1st weekend in March at Muddy Creek Raceway in Blountville,TN which is about an hour and a half from me. We finish up the 18 round series back at Muddy Creek  the 3rd weekend in October. 

With this being said....You now know I race MX and practice in the off season (usually in Nov,Dec,Jan,Feb) when it is weather fit at local tracks

Now that you know how much I ride and what type of riding I do..........Would Air still be ok in the shock?  or would you use Nitrogen?

I would rather use Nitrogen just because of the fact of components inside of the shock breaking down.   By know means do I know more than you mog about suspension's but I would just rather use N2 than air if I could. 

The only hassle of the kit is just getting a Gauge, finding right kind of hose and no loss chuck and the fittings to fit the hose to the tank gauge.

The tank is the easiest to get.   I can get the tank with the N2 in it up the road a couple miles from me at this guys welding shop.

I just want to make sure I get the right Gauge for the purpose..  Meaning.... I will be only charging a shock....so ...I wouldn't need a 600psi or 1000psi delivery gauge would I ....unless I can get for $20.00 

I know I would only need a Gauge that would have a PSI reading of 300 but those seem hard to find vs's a 600psi one.

I know you probably don't care but I'm going to the basement here in a few and take some pics of the tools I have for the Forks and Shock and my setup ......just to let ya know that I'm really wanting to do this and work on my own stuff.

You are really knowledgeable mof about the Forks and Shock and want to learn all I can from you. 

Here is some of the special Tools that I have on hand right now for the Forks. I have two seal bullets and a seal head driver for rhe shocks on both my YZ's that will be here tomorrow.

Is there any other special tool that I will need for the

Edited by CaptainKnobby

You only want 150 psi to charge the shock , any decent dealer for welding supplies should stock what you need , you want a no loss chuck as well

Race Tech Pro Shock Nitrogen Gauge 0-300 PSI Universal. I found this on Amazon along with the gauge that goes on the tank and the No Loss Air chuck.......All three for $181.00

Any one have any dealings with this Race Tech Shock Nitrogen Gauge Filler?

Also wondering if I could get by with a 20cf tank or would I need to get a 40cf tank?

I would be servicing two Bikes. A YZ250 and YZ450(Bikes posted above).

I figure if the the shocks take a 150psi a charge and if a 20cf tank can hold at least 800psi......that would mean I could service my shocks about 3times before needing to fill the take again.

But if the tank wouldn't hold that much I believe I would go to a 40cf one so I would have more N2.

You only want 150 psi to charge the shock , any decent dealer for welding supplies should stock what you need , you want a no loss chuck as well

Race Tech Pro Shock Nitrogen Gauge 0-300 PSI Universal

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453811525.745462.jpg

I can also get the hose with the no loss air chuck and the gauge that goes on the tank. All for $181.00

Just don't know what size tank to get. A 20cf one or a 40cf.

How many psi of Nitrogen can a 20cf tank hold?

All the nitrogen tanks I've had were 2,000-3,000 psi (it's been a while since I've had a tank refilled, so the exact number escapes me at the moment).  

For the little additional cost, I'd get the larger tank. I use a 48" tank (~120cf) because I use it for tires on all our vehicles and for backup if my compressor breaks.

Race Tech Pro Shock Nitrogen Gauge 0-300 PSI Universal. I found this on Amazon along with the gauge that goes on the tank and the No Loss Air chuck.......All three for $181.00

Any one have any dealings with this Race Tech Shock Nitrogen Gauge Filler?

Also wondering if I could get by with a 20cf tank or would I need to get a 40cf tank?

I would be servicing two Bikes. A YZ250 and YZ450(Bikes posted above).

I figure if the the shocks take a 150psi a charge and if a 20cf tank can hold at least 800psi......that would mean I could service my shocks about 3times before needing to fill the take again.

But if the tank wouldn't hold that much I believe I would go to a 40cf one so I would have more N2.

I have a small ProGas unit and probably get 75 to 100 services from a tank. The shock has very little volume, so it takes a small amount to fill it.

• Like 1

I have a small ProGas unit and probably get 75 to 100 services from a tank. The shock has very little volume, so it takes a small amount to fill it.

I know the shocks take a small amount........150psi to be exact for a shock.

But still doesn't answer my ?

I trying to find out how many psi will those baby bottles will hold. Especially how many psi in a 20cf tank.

Your tank n the pic looks to be about a 40cf tank. When it is full .......how many psi is the tank showing?

It's a 21cf tank. It is more than enough for any individual building their own shocks for years. You can't go by how many PSI the tanks have because they are different volumes than the shock. It's not like 1500 PSI will do 10 shocks with 150 PSI each. But if memory serves me correct when full, it showed 1500 psi on the gauge. A new tank that is still in date may be filled more (2200 PSI), but mine was out of date and I had it filled by a friend from a large tank.

Edited by mx317

It's a 21cf tank. It is more than enough for any individual building their own shocks for years. You can't go by how many PSI the tanks have because they are different volumes than the shock. It's not like 1500 PSI will do 10 shocks with 150 PSI each. But if memory serves me correct when full, it showed 1500 psi on the gauge. A new tank that is still in date may be filled more (2200 PSI), but mine was out of date and I had it filled by a friend from a large tank.

Just stopped by Napa on my way home. They can get the tanks from air gas. Guess I will kust order a 20cf from them. He is going to call me an let me how much it will run.

Napa wanted $135 for a 20cf tank and filled. I believe I can trim $20 or more off by finding me a used one or ordering me one online. Napa said they

could fill it when I was out of Nitrogen and label the tank "customer owned" so I could get the same tank back.

might try a beverage supply house

I was just wondering about that. I seen some Aluminum Cylinders that say they are for Nitrogen for around $65 but didn't know if the place where I'm getting the N2 would fill it due to it not being a steel tank.    Guess if it says it is for Nitrogen,Helium ect....they would fill it.

Just need to find one that the Gauge I bought will thread into it.  The Gauge I bought has the male coupler.  Meaning the gauge end screws into the Tank end.

Here is one I believe will work.......What da think?    Its 22cf

s-l1600.jpg

Now the gauge I bought  (which is Pictured above)  I think will work with this tank.......What da Thank?

Edited by CaptainKnobby

I just went ahead an ordered the Aluminum Tank.   Now I just have to set and wait for all this stuff to come in.......Then All I will have to do is take the Tank to NAPA and they will keep it till the AirGas guy comes by and then give it to him to take and get filled.    AirGas will drop it back off to Napa and then I just go an pick it up.