Sign in to follow this  

CRF230F Choke

Hello,

How does the choke on the 230f work? I thought it had a keihin 28? is there a choke plate operated by the lever or an enrichment circuit? Has it always operated the same way over the years?

Thanks

Standard old-school choke plate with a small hole in it.

What are the advantages and disadvantages over this?

mJB6-p0iZkYHV0oD39OpQTA.jpg

Enrichening circuits, in my opinion, are superior in that they provide a bypass that allows for a fast idle besides an enriched mixture.  When you have only a choke plate you must raise the idle speed manually, just like a car with a carb and fast-idle cam.

Disadvantages?  A few extra bits and pieces that can leak.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

I bought and fixed a DZR 125 suzuki to resale. It had the enrichment rather than a true choke. Is this typical of all Suzukis?

I bought and fixed a DZR 125 suzuki to resale. It had the enrichment rather than a true choke. Is this typical of all Suzukis?

The 84/85 XR200R and XR250R were the last Honda 200/250 XRs to have enrichening circuits.  I believe 1987 was the last year the XR600 had enrichening circuits.  From that point on XR200, XR250, XR400, and XR600 all went to the last current PD carbs with choke plates.  My 1984 Al Baker XR265R had an enricheining circuit and I liked it.  Set it and kick.  No adjustments to idle speed required like the later XRs.

As far as I know all Mikuni carbs use enrichening circuits and they were very popular on 2T engines.

• Like 1

i prefer to raise idle opening throttle a little and keep it steady for about 20-30sec. it avoids moving and readjusting the knob every time. 

using the knob i had to raise idle - slighly lower idle - set final idle with hot engine. three moves and idle was never exactly the same.

Edited by 30x26