Sign in to follow this  

Dirt Bike Blowing Blue Smoke (Need Help!)

Hello! I currently own a '06 Yamaha TTR-125L. I have had it for about a year now and the people who sold it to me looked like they didn't take care of it... When we immediately bought it he said it needed new rear wheel bearings and a new rear tire tube, and that the handle for the front brakes doesn't work. So what we did is we got the wheel bearings and the tire done, and we were thinking that I wouldn't really use the front brakes. Well after that the rear brakes don't work. 

But down to the problem! I let my friend ride my bike(had no experience whatsoever)told him over and over and over again, one down, four up. I taught him everything and he was confident. Well he did get to one down, but didn't figure out the four up. So I immediately noticed my baby was screaming for another gear so I went out and started waving him down to stop, he didn't immediately stop but rode it towards me (Still screaming) and I was just about in tears. It started spewing blue/white smoke like crazy. I turned it off and then let it sit for a whole day then brought it out again today to see if it got any better, it's not spewing out nearly as much smoke but still is blowing out smoke. When it's idling you can barely see the smoke, but when I throttle it you can tell it's there. I don't know what to do and I quite honestly hope it's not a engine problem because I'm new to dirt bikes and I can't do engine rebuilds or replace piston rings on my own. So I am hoping for good news, but let me know what you guys think it is. All is appreciated! 

Thanks,

Awesome_4ydan

The smoke is going to be oil smoke.  Where did it come from will be the question.  That motor has a crank case ventilation system of some kind.  With the engine over-rev, he may have pushed oil instead of blow-by fumes into the vent hose, and then into the intake.  The engine will ingest the oil and make smoke.  If that's the case, then just riding it around normally should clear it up, but relevant to how much excess oil is in the vent hose and intake.

Another possibility is that the engine oil level was over filled.  Most of the time over filled to a point won't hurt anything, but a high rev could create the above scenario.  In this case, then same thing applies, just ride it around normally, and it should clear up.

Now, if he he damaged the oil scraper ring from the over-rev, then it may not ever quite smoking.

Those motors are darn near indestructible.  Hopefully it will clear up after a bit if riding.

Also, post this in the relevant Yamaha forum and see what kind of feedback you get.

The smoke is going to be oil smoke.  Where did it come from will be the question.  That motor has a crank case ventilation system of some kind.  With the engine over-rev, he may have pushed oil instead of blow-by fumes into the vent hose, and then into the intake.  The engine will ingest the oil and make smoke.  If that's the case, then just riding it around normally should clear it up, but relevant to how much excess oil is in the vent hose and intake.

Another possibility is that the engine oil level was over filled.  Most of the time over filled to a point won't hurt anything, but a high rev could create the above scenario.  In this case, then same thing applies, just ride it around normally, and it should clear up.

Now, if he he damaged the oil scraper ring from the over-rev, then it may not ever quite smoking.

Those motors are darn near indestructible.  Hopefully it will clear up after a bit if riding.

Also, post this in the relevant Yamaha forum and see what kind of feedback you get.

Thank you so much! I am so relieved. I'll give an update sometime later this week.

My step-son did that to a TTR125 a few years ago... new rider following us around and forgot how to shift gears, so he stayed in first and screamed it while trying to keep up. 

The repair bill was $800, about the price of the bike originally.   Good luck.