Sign in to follow this  

01 KX250 tuning for trail riding.

Recently bought this 01 KX. I am riding exclusively on single track trails with climbs and drops. I have the engine close with a flywheel weight and and some carb tuning. Looking for advice on he best kit or process to soften up the suspension. I'm 6 foot and about 210. Thanks.

Search for all the different clicker tuning instruction you can find. Many susp tuning cos put this info on their sites. Oil level in your forks can be raised or lowered to achieve a different action also and can be very effective. I ride single track also and find my 01 CR250 works much better with lower amounts of oil. Standard oil CC is 384 in my bike and the best action for me is 330-340. Your owners manual may have a good susp tuning section, mine is excellent.  The theory is basically the same no matter the brand. I spent a load of $$$ on revalves and am getting close to as good as I had it for free. Think about what you want to achieve and do a lot of testing, one change at a time. Set up a short loop that has the terrain you need to work on. Don't just go riding. Use a couple of full days just testing and keep notes. Bring all the instruction material with you and really think about what you are doing step by step, it will pay off.

• Like 2

Thanks George. Will give it a shot. I thought I would try a thinner oil than stock while I had the forks off too. The problem is I am so green I am not sure I would be able to tell if it was an improvement or just me having a slightly better day than the last. Great forum. Thanks again for the feedback.

Silkolene has a 2.5 oil that I used and others do also. I found it to be a noticeable change. Might need to use more of it to prevent bottoming than with a heavier 5wt. Remember, it is much easier to add than remove, start with lower levels and add if needed. Also, be sure you have the correct springs before you do anything else. Good luck.

Edited by YHGEORGE