Sign in to follow this  

Always Wear your Gear (picture)

I'm certainly not the morbid type, but a picture says a thousand words.  The bad thing was I had ordered knee pads the day before and they arrived the day after the accident :(.  I was climbing a gnarly hill on my YZ 250 and wheelied a bit at the top.  My knee came slamming down on one helluva rock.  Lesson learned, always wear your safety gear!

20160117_144622.jpg

Never fun to see another fellow rider get hurt, hope that heals soon YZGuy

Protective gear is often stuff we hesitate to buy; "hmm it would be a good idea to wear this but look at the price.."

yet most of us don't hesitate to replace bike parts 'just in case'. (still serviceable tires, lightly dented pipe, scratched plastics etc.)

I'm sure most here take better care of their bike than themselves....(me included)

I'm certainly not the morbid type, but a picture says a thousand words. The bad thing was I had ordered knee pads the day before and they arrived the day after the accident :(. I was climbing a gnarly hill on my YZ 250 and wheelied a bit at the top. My knee came slamming down on one helluva rock. Lesson learned, always wear your safety gear!

my wife did the same thing about 10 years ago and has a nice v shaped scar. Still won't wear knee pads

I was thinking of knee/shin protection this spring. Had an accident and seriously mangled my knee and shin. I won't ride without them now. They've saved me a couple times already.

• Like 2

OUCH!

That's making me want to go try on the new shin/knee pads santa brought pronto...

Cheers,

Jon

All the gear, all the time. I'm too old to be bashed up waiting in the ER for hours to pay thousands of dollars.

I know it can't protect me from everything, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Edited by dirtbikegirl
  • Like 1

Ya to the OP that is F(&^%%ing nasty :(

Do you need a skin graft???

I have unfortunately seen a number of people with some extremely gruesome injuries and even had 2 different people come close to dying in my arms. One in a car accident and the other in a skiing accident and luckily they both lived.

I had something slightly close to yours when I first got back into dirt riding in 2010. Figured I was good with steel toed work boots until I crashed and had the peg take a 3" by 1/4" strip out of my shin. It was on bone so barely deep but still stitches.

Shortly afterwords I was sitting a coffee shop with big bandage around my shin. A buddy comes up and say, Caught your shin on a peg? i said yes. He went over to his house and brought back and old pair of dirt bikes boots and said you need these and I don't want them back. Once I was healed, I used them a few times before I got my own and have since passed them on to another new rider.

Sorry to see your pain dude but yes let this be a valuable lesson to anyone who asks about needing dirt bike protection here!

Thanks for all the get-well feedback guys. It's appreciated.  Hopefully some people will run across this in the future and this may motivate them to get their gear sooner.  Thankfully, my knee is almost already healed up in about 8 days.  Still can't bend it a whole lot but it's looking great.  Lesson learned!

20160126_122518.jpeg

• Like 2

Knee protection is cheap.  My $15 Thors work just fine to prevent stuff like that.  Live and learn.

• Like 1

I wear Asterik knee braces. Haven't crash test dummied to see if they work as advertised, but would have done similar without them. Doesn't take much, the man vs. rock thing, to do that. Heal quick.

I know it can't protect me from everything, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Ya - at some point there is only so much you can protect.

Not to turn this into a worst accident topic but when I used to really be into mountain biking (before suspension) it was a helmet and glass cus there wasn't really al lot of options. I got a LOT of scars back in those days.

So we were mountain biking a trail and gave across a guy lying in the bush by himself with a branch about the diameter of a finger impaled about 6" into the inside fleshy part of his arm and the branch was still attached to a tree and he was so f^%^ed up he could not get himself loose. We were able to cut the branch off the tree and eventually get the dude out of the bush and to the hospital. Reaaly not protection for this.

Then dirt biking, I nearly got impaled by a 20 foot pointy branch sticking out into the trail. I was lucky I was wearing a plastic roost guard and the tip got stuck into one of the vent holes and jousted me off the back of the bike. If had gone under the roost guard it would have most likely gone into some part of my body.

Good god that pic made me cringe! But I love pics like that. I'm a sicko.

In 2012 I was testing out my new sprockets after work. I ran out of light, so I just took it down the driveway at my dads's house. Turned it around, got on it hard in second, and hit a concrete post with my right kneecap. Completely shattered it. It still feels like a relief map of the moon under the skin.

Glad you're ok.