Sign in to follow this  

Throttle stuck closed? 2013 450xcf

Having an issue with my 2013 KTM 450xcf.  The bike has been sitting for a year without even being started.  Decided to get it up and running yesterday to get back into riding/racing after a few years off.  Did all fluid changes and charged the battery for the electric starter since it was dead.  

Got the bike fired up and running after cleaning the fuel injector.  Let it idle for a few minutes before jumping on to ride it down the street and back.  Went to twist the throttle and had only minimal play or twisting ability.  Went for a ride anyway as the bike would rev enough to get it going and would ride at a low rev speed. Think of 1/8th throttle if that makes sense.  I don't even think it was that much.  

Decided to open up the throttle body to see if there was an issue with the cables.  Detached the ends of the throttle cable from the throttle body so they would be free.  After doing this the throttle would twist and move as normal with no issue.  

This is my first EFI bike and am dumbfounded as what could be stopping the throttle to open in the EFI system.  Is there a safety lockout if the battery isn't charged enough?  Is there a fuse i popped?  

What could be stopping the throttle to open all the way??

In the video below when i push up with my finger to open up the throttle, it sounds like it is hitting against metal to stop it from opening further.  

https://drive.google...Ud3M0J5Q1k/view

If someone could embed the video if it is even viewable as I couldn't get it to work.   

Thank you, I appreciate the help. 

Not having gotten any direction, I decided I would just have to drive into the throttle body to see what was going on with the throttle not opening.  I started to remove the assembly from the two rubber boots and pushed the front of the throttle body off to the right side.  This gave me a view into the front of the opening of the throttle body that goes into the head.  I look and see the FUEL INJECTOR is pushed up in the way of the butterfly.  That is what was blocking the throttle from opening.   

So I solved that problem.  

Now there's another problem with the injector not seating properly.  It seems when I push the injector to where it seats without spraying any fuel out where it enters the throttle body, it is too far in and again, doesn't let the throttle butterfly to open.  When I slide the injector down to let the throttle open....it isn't seated and when i tap the start button to turn on the fuel pump, i can see a quick mist of fuel coming out of the top of the injector.   

Its a catch 22.  I didn't substitute any parts or O-rings at all.  Im working with what was/is on the bike to reassemble the injector and place it back into its spot.  

Should I just buy a new injector???

I put some compressed air through both ends to unclogg it, so I'm thinking I broke something with whatever it is that stops fuel from flowing backwards through the injector.  

Edited by rmzer