Jeeps on tahuya 2 track

It's the de-evolution of single track much like what happened at Reiter. You know where some great lowland single track was built only to see utility kwads come in and mud it up. We are all supposed to work together for off road access but when those on four wheels behave like that it strains alliances. 

• Like 3

Green MT Rider, did you get a chance to talk to them and tell them that they were on the wrong trail system? I'm just curious what their attitude was. I will tell the Quadra Paws, they will block any obvious access to our trails from theirs if we can help them identify the location. Can you describe where on Tahuya River Trail?

One issue at belfair is the formal 4x4 area only really has a couple ways in and out of it to the highway.  So when guys breakdown they are often searching to get out rather than backtrack all the gnar and deep water.   So they try other ways out. If a trail looks wide enough (from side by side use) that's where they might try. 

• Like 1

They come off the east spur road and go south on the tahuya staging trail till they hit the trail bridge, turn around and go back out.

That's the section they were on.

I thought about confronting them but figured it would be a lost cause.

This wasn't the first time I've encountered jeeps on the quad trails. These guys aren't lost or trying to get out a easy way. There giving us a big F you.

It can be fixed but takes time, and signage helps.

A few years back when Side by Sides came out they started riding them in CF, I encountered them several times and a few of them had been drinking.  DNR and users spread the word and side by side encounters dropped.  Haven't encounter one on a CF trail for several years.

So I just got off the phone with the president of the local Quadra Paws chapter, and next Tuesday we are going to go take a look at the fix with the DNR. It sounds like the issue is the DNR is going to decommission part of the dirt road and their trail will be rerouted for a short distance down the wide old road section of the Tahuya River Connector trail. The problem with that is it isn't signed yet, and where the 4x4s are supposed to turn back onto their existing trail isn't marked and the two track blocked to keep them from continuing. Thanks for posting about it, we'll get it fixed.

• Like 5

So I just got off the phone with the president of the local Quadra Paws chapter, and next Tuesday we are going to go take a look at the fix with the DNR. It sounds like the issue is the DNR is going to decommission part of the dirt road and their trail will be rerouted for a short distance down the wide old road section of the Tahuya River Connector trail. The problem with that is it isn't signed yet, and where the 4x4s are supposed to turn back onto their existing trail isn't marked and the two track blocked to keep them from continuing. Thanks for posting about it, we'll get it fixed.

Thanks for dealing with this. I really appreciate it.

• Like 2

It can be fixed but takes time, and signage helps.

A few years back when Side by Sides came out they started riding them in CF, I encountered them several times and a few of them had been drinking.  DNR and users spread the word and side by side encounters dropped.  Haven't encounter one on a CF trail for several years.

Last time I was there, there were two side by sides in the parking lot at Elf, they hit the trail that heads north, the Overland?

I agree that some bigger and obvious signs about the rules and laws would help. 

For the most part, it's very well behaved, but that said it's nice if everyone plays by the rules and also cleans up their messes. 

Last time I was there, there were two side by sides in the parking lot at Elf, they hit the trail that heads north, the Overland?

I agree that some bigger and obvious signs about the rules and laws would help. 

For the most part, it's very well behaved, but that said it's nice if everyone plays by the rules and also cleans up their messes. 

I like to carry an extra Tahuya map in a zip lock sandwich bag for these encounters.  I keep it friendly by asking,  "Are you lost?"​  Then I give them the map and show them where the legal trails are for the ORV they are using. I also put in a plug for WOHVA in the conversation.

• Like 2

I like to carry an extra Tahuya map in a zip lock sandwich bag for these encounters.  I keep it friendly by asking,  "Are you lost?"​  Then I give them the map and show them where the legal trails are for the ORV they are using. I also put in a plug for WOHVA in the conversation.

Since we are all in this together I like the idea of helping other users. I do carry a map but an extra map isn't much extra effort to help someone else.

• Like 1

Always good to help others figure out where they are, and where they can and can't be. Our trail system is built on a maximum 48" width for the 2 track trails, including most of our ORV bridges. The only place that the wide quads and side by sides are legal is on the 4x4 trails. Something people should consider when they make a purchase or come to the Tahuya to ride.