Sign in to follow this  

is buying third motorcycle nuts?

just want a little bit of reassurance that somebody else also has 3 or more bikes,

because I am close to get my third bike and my conscience is telling me "you're nuts"...

Logic also tells me pair is enough, but again practicality wise for commuting, travelling 

and off-roading the ideal number is 3 - am I right or what?

• Like 2

N+1 is always the answer!   Seriously though, several bikes that serve different purposes is the way it goes.  One of the great things about motorcycles is you can have a nice selection in your garage for far less than the price of a new pickup truck.  

• Like 5

Me and my dad have 6 between us, so 3 each technically. We each have track bikes trail bikes and a 125 and 450. It's so nice to always have a spare bike when something goes wrong and to have the options of different bikes. The downside is it seems like there's always one with a problem and harder to stay on top of but go for it man! I know a buddy that has 10 bikes and another with 25 (albeit some street)

• Like 2

Having 3 of the same is un necessary. having track, trail, street is all goodbut Maintaining a bunch costs a lot more and they always seem to need stuff. I

• Like 2

No, not "Nuts".  If finances allow, I say get it.  I have four in the garage, which is about right for me.  Multiple bikes for different purposes.   As was stated earlier, more maintenance, but I like time in the garage.    

• Like 1

It is weird how it seems like maintnenace goes up. In theory, you should not be doing more, just alternating between the bikes depending on use and you shouldn't be doing any extra work. But that's not how it feels lol

• Like 2

just want a little bit of reassurance that somebody else also has 3 or more bikes,

because I am close to get my third bike and my conscience is telling me "you're nuts"...

Logic also tells me pair is enough, but again practicality wise for commuting, travelling

I've owned 6 bikes at one time. Pointless, unless:

1 Adventure

1 DS

1 Trails Bike

1 Race Bike

1 Practice bike

1 for dicking around on or friends bike...

Unless you have one of each your just wasting money...

• Like 1

Last year I had 3 bikes. One my rider and a double basket case build. I am only 18. It's crazy how many great project deals come up when you already have one going, but I was sure tempted for a fourth

If you are in the financial position to do it then go for it. As long as you are still contributing a significant amount of money towards your savings and retirement funds and the rest of your house is in order it should be cool. I have 5 dirt bikes at the moment so I fully support your idea! Edited by ron_m
  • Like 2

No you're not nuts. Go with your impulses and buy the next bike. Yolo n stuff...

I'm buying another dirt bike very soon brand new very soon, and I literally just bought my current dirt bike a few months ago. I don't care...I'm just getting it!!!

• Like 1

If you are in the financial position to do it then go for it. As long as you are still contributing a significant amount of money towards your savings and retirement funds and the rest of your house is in order it should be cool. I have 5 dirt bikes at the moment so I fully support your idea!

When I realized money is not real I have no financial problems 🙂   I own my house free an clear.  👍

• Like 2

Yes it is. I had 3 (all dirt) and only rode 1 of them. The other 2 sat, decided to sell all 3 and get one brand new, haven't regretted it at all. At a certain point they just become more stuff, more stuff to buy, maintain, wash, find room for...

I love bikes, but at this point in my life one is enough.

• Like 1

For me:

2006 Triumph Bonneville

2005 KX250 2T

2008 KX100/107 (now my son's)

1999 YZ125

2007 KX65 (was son's)

Wishing I had a trials bike. And the new 1200 Triumph Thruxton R

If I had the room and $, I'd have 10 more and still probably not be satisfied. Yes, I'm sick.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur
  • Like 1