is buying third motorcycle nuts?

just want a little bit of reassurance that somebody else also has 3 or more bikes,

because I am close to get my third bike and my conscience is telling me "you're nuts"...

Logic also tells me pair is enough, but again practicality wise for commuting, travelling

and off-roading the ideal number is 3 - am I right or what?

Budget should dictate how many bikes you should buy. Also, if you're like a bag of smashed &%$#@! in the garage and take your bike to a shop for every little thing that goes wrong with it, then another bike is going to dig into your riding budget.

However, if you're a genie in the garage and can take separate joy in tinkering and tweaking your three different rides, and your budget will allow you to supply maintenance parts and supplies. (And your spouse doesn't mind not seeing you all summer) then gopher it and buy a third.

My dad almost bought me a Reflex when I was 13. When we looked at it, the engine sounded like a bucket of bolts in a paint shaker so we passed. I wound up getting a Yamaha Big Wheel 350 instead.

Ya back in the 70/80's, 3 or 4 of my friends Big Wheels. There was another topic about vintage pictures and I remember I had this pic in an old photo album. This is a picture of the picture from the early 80's. Not me but we all wore overall's and this dude was to only guy with actual dirt bike boots.

Big%20Wheel_zps2xw5frcc.jpg

• Like 2

I'm content at 6 but I always want anther. I need to sell some of my cars first. Once I get down to 3 or 4 cars, I'll probably get anther bike. I don't have a dedicated dirt bike so I may get one of them or an adventure bike. All my machines are purposed built. Every single one can do something the others cannot. 

just want a little bit of reassurance that somebody else also has 3 or more bikes,

because I am close to get my third bike and my conscience is telling me "you're nuts"...

Logic also tells me pair is enough, but again practicality wise for commuting, travelling 

and off-roading the ideal number is 3 - am I right or what?

I have a MX bike, a Dual Sport, a XR650R, and a trials bike.

Overall the collection is diverse enough, that it's easy to justify.

I work on all my own cars, bikes, bicycles, houses, and have the tools and knowledge to do so.

If you are servicing all those at a shop, it becomes unfeasable....

Oh, and if you can, get relatively "low maintanence" bikes... 2T or XR, type stuff...

The high revving high performance stuff will need more attention in between rebuilds.

Your riding style will determine this also, if you're nice to them, they'll last longer than if you are racing them, or beating on the machines.

1- 04 crf250r trail and scramble bike

2- 04 crf150 play bike

3- 04 crf150 girlfriends bike

4- 92 cr500 trail bike/extended hillclimber

5- 89 cr500 extended dune bike

6- 01 cr500Af just because

Are you nuts? No. Am I nuts for having 6 bikes, no. Am I nuts for having 3 cr500s and watching Craigslist daily for more?? Quite possibly

• Like 1

Beers, bikes, boobs, and bullet launchers all come with the same problem. Once you try one out, you have to have all the varieties.

Too much beer can be trouble, too many boobs at once often means trouble, too many guns doesn't seem like a problem, too many bikes is NEVER a problem. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

ok, thanks to your encouragement and after some castling I have now three bikes and I'm happy  :ride:  

Street/city, Adventure/expedition, dirt/dual sport - looks nice together although someday I'll add one more: trial bike of course.

Looking forward to expand my garage building because it started to get crowded...

ok, thanks to your encouragement and after some castling I have now three bikes and I'm happy  :ride:  

Street/city, Adventure/expedition, dirt/dual sport - looks nice together although someday I'll add one more: trial bike of course.

Looking forward to expand my garage building because it started to get crowded...

What did you get Robson?

Sounded like you wanted a KTM ?

I somehow have ended up with 4 in my garage.

- Got an 05 CRF450R.....needs a valve job, some new bushings and just some TLC.  Bike has maybe ~ 50 hours on it.  And since I have it all set up for offroad, and it ain't worth anything, its hard to let go of.  One of these days I'll get around to fixing it up.

- 11' 300xc (250 now).  This is my main race bike.  I bought it after taking a 5 year hiatus from riding (^), this bike renewed my love for riding and I have a lot of blood, sweat, tears, curse words, and a whole lot of $$$$$$ in it over the last  5 years.  Its going to be hard to sell it when I go pick up its replacement in a few months.

- 12' 300xcw.  I was riding so much, I figured out a few years ago that I needed 2 bikes to ensure I had 1 that was ready to ride at all times.  Since I loved 300's so much, I couldn't think of a better bike to buy. So I went to my dealer to make a deal on a brand new race bike, and then in rolled this beauty that someone traded in.  It had 18 hours on the meter, a bunch of off-road goodies already bolted on, and another box full of parts to go with it.  I really wanted to try a linkage bike but this deal was too good to pass up.  It was in my garage the next day and it had an Arizona License plate hanging off the back soon after  :devil: .

-  Decided I needed to really learn how to ride a 2T last year, and surmised that a 200 would be a good bike to get.  Looked casually for a while until I came across a smoking deal on a freshly rebuilt 14' 200xcw.  I'm never selling this bike no matter what.

I'll admit that I could probably do away with one of my 2T's, but screw it.  They're all paid for, I can swap parts between all of them and I literally cannot tell you which set of suspension is on which bike.  Not to mention that making time to ride all 3 of them is a great problem to have.  Besides, one of these days my lovely lady might pressure me to get rid of one of them....and I'll put up a small fight knowing damn well that 3 bikes is more than enough to quench my moto thirst  :ride:

Edited by Andrew_v949

I have 5 bikes, all Hondas. Two vintage ones ( one for show and one for play) 1 DS thumper for the road, running into town, light trail rides and my xr400 for woods riding. I also purchased a spare woods bike (85 xr350) for my pal to ride when he comes into town, so we can consider that a spare, all plated and street legal. I found a lot of joy restoring the xr350 to its former glory and sourcing parts out on eBay. BF430600-BCA5-46AA-B963-672709546EF2_zps

• Like 1