Sign in to follow this  

2016 Yz 85 or keep 2015 kx 85

Well to start we had a 2008 Yz 85, which my boy got on after 65's. He loved it, the bike is basically the same as the 2016, except for the new plastics. It doesn't have a powervalve, but he had no problem keeping it on the pipe. He said the Yz turned great, had great suspension, and felt skinny in the middle which was easy to move around on. Now, he wanted a new bike to start racing the 85 9-11 class this year. I thought for sure, he would get a Yz, but he chose the 2015 kx 85. I was told let them choose the bike they want, and they'll be happier riding. Well he's up in the air on the kx after having it about 5 months. I told him, I told you to get the Yz. He says the kx doesn't handle, feels wide, and he liked the screaming top end motor of the yz, over the kx low end power valved motor. Well it sounds easy, go back to the Yz right. Well I don't see it that way after I just bought the new kx 85. But I don't want to see him on something he's not happy on. So what I'm getting at is help me justify buying a new Yz 85. When I kinda feel the kx could work. We might not have given the kx enough time. Please give me pros and cons of these bikes. He's also expressed interest in the husqvarna tc 85, but I just can't see paying 5,600.00 for a 85. Maybe after a year or so in the 85 class, and he proves to me that he's gonna do fairly well then maybe the husky. Thanks a lot in advance!!!!

Edited by evansville

I would try throwing a pipe and reeds on it first before you go spend money on getting another 85. As far as the suspension I think it is fully adjustable so try changing things up for him. If that doesn't work then go back for the yz. I would try those mods first though

Ya the suspension is gonna make a difference, and more seat time to. I told him just to ride it more, and give it more of a chance. I would rather do at least a year on the kx, if he still doesn't like it at the end of the season, will get a new 2017.

Yes seat time is really what helps the most I believe it took me a couple rides before I got comfortable on my yz

Ya but the $100 bill is crisp, newer, feels better in his hand, than an old $100 bill, and the new $100 bill is not torn so it goes faster!!!!!