Sign in to follow this  

Barstow to Vegas?

Alright, to the experienced... Wanting to do Barstow to Vegas trip in '16. I have an 02 cr250 that is street legal and is cherry nice. But kind of wanting a DRZ 400 for this ride. Thinking about sending my top end off of my CR to Eric Gorr for a big bore. Thinking I can 'gear it high' and ride it at a lower RPM and be alright for this long ride. Will have bigger gas tank as well. I have ridden woods all my life with a little motocross racing sprinkled in. Have always ridden 2 stroke MX bikes for everything. 47 years old. Guys that have done this, what am I not thinking about???? Thanks for any good feed back. Jeff, Ohio

16' will be my first one in almost 10 years. Used to do it on a DRZ 400 but finally got a KTM EXC. Remember it's not a race so personally I see no issue with the 250. Just need to mix your gas at the fuel stops or have a chase crew. My dad chased for me a couple of times. Differently want the larger tank.

It a easy ride, just long a long one.  Get a big tank and a fresh bike and ride.   Now to be honest, i am a east coat rider and have only done it once in 2014 on stock xr 400 4 stroke with a stock tank, but carried a extra gallon of gas, which i almost needed, that was at the end of day one coming into Barstow from Palmdale  in the dark with a few missed turns. It was and remains my only desert ride, until Thanksgiving, when i hope to do it again.  The second day,  Barstow to Vegas was faster, got into Vegas with plenty of daylight left.  If you are not the fastest, stop a lot, or get a couple of flat tires, a good head light would be a good idea.  

I don't see a 2 stroke being a problem if you carry oil or have premix ready at the gas stops,  The only real draw back would be if you do run out of fuel in BFE any help would most likely have straight gas.  

Thanks for the replies guys. One more thing, do you see any problem with a CR250's transmission gearing? Do you think a big bore will help out a smaller rear sprocket? Thanks JEFF

My xr 400 did fine with stock gearing.   If you can cruise at 50-55 without killing the engine  you should be fine.   On the long sand roads i wish i had a little shorter gearing so i could ride a gear higher.   You had to go about 45-50 to stay on top of the sand 55-60 to be real stable,  and on my bike that meant i had to ride in 4th and keep it close to WOT, if i tried to up shift to 5th the bike bogged down.  That was maybe 15-20 miles if i remember correctly.  The only changes i am making this year is a bigger gas tank, and a better head light if i find one that will work with minimal effort.  

People do LA-B to V on literally any street legal bike you can imagine, including 250cc 2 strokes.  The slow bikes just ride the shoulder on the road sections.  I've done it twice, 2012 on my DRZ 400 and 2013 on my KTM 530.  I actually had more fun on the DRZ because it made things more challenging, and it's a more comfortable bike to ride all day.  I wouldn't do the hard ways on the DRZ personally, but some guys do them on adventure bikes.  

Check out the District 37 message board.  Those people live for LA-B to V and they'll be able to tell you everything you want to know.

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?5-Dual-Sport

We do an annual ride from San Diego to Barstow to Vegas and either bike will be fine (5 years total now).  As stated above, I'd be more worried about comfort than performance.  I have a street legal CRF450X and love it.  I put on a seat concepts seat and love it compared to stock.  I have also done the ride on the DRZ400 and an EXC450. I didn't prefer the DRZ, but a ton of guys in the group ride them.  I just re-geared my CRF to 14-46 (I think) and it took away some of the power, but there's still plenty there for me and my riding style.

You'll have a blast.  FYI, the west side of the 15 is more rocky and the east side is more sandy...😉