Sign in to follow this  

Best old 125?

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and I have a few questions about old two stroke mx bikes.  I am looking to get an inexpensive dirt bike for fun trail riding and maybe some motocross or cross country racing. And where I live I can find older 125cc motocross bikes for about 150-250 dollars.  Of course at this price point they usually need a good bit of work. 

Some need completely reassembled and rebuilt and some only need a new piston and  a little TLC.  Most of these bikes are between 1984-1990 and liquid cooled with single rear shocks like any modern bike. So my big question is what brand in the 1980's was "the best"? 

I know some bikes had better suspension and some had better engines, etc etc.  But is there any mid-late 80's 125 that is considered the King?  Most the bikes I see are KX's YZ's and CR's, I haven't seen any RM's at that low price point, most of the bikes I see are YZ's and CR's. 

Also, when buying an old worn out 125 two stroke are there any key areas to look for?  Particularly frame and engine wise?  I am very familiar with four strokes and such and I know how two strokes work I just don't have any two stroke engine experience.       

Thanks a lot yall!

I owned an '86 CR125R and up until recently kept a copy of the '1986 125cc shootout' from either MXA or Dirt Bike magazine.

The Honda came in first, best overall, (but the RM still handled better)

the engine had a good bottom-to-mid and very decent top end, very broad for 125's at the time.

I also remember from the shootout that both the YZ and RM's engine's were quite lame in 1986,

the YZ a very narrow midrange only motor,

the RM's powervalve settings fully opened even before it got into the powerband.

If I remember correctly, the KX125 had the best engine in 1985 (similar to the '86 CR)

For 1986 they tuned it into a less forgiving mid-to-top end screamer.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Alrighty then.  Looks like Ill be going after a 1986 up CR.  Thanks for the replies yall!