Sign in to follow this  

DIY air flow mods

So i have a 2005 crf230f and i wanted to drill some holes into the air box to permit more air flow to the engine i also wanted to drill some holes into the baffle to permit more air to leave the engine so am i right that i would need to re jet the bike after i do these mods? If so what jets should i use ill be riding from sea level to about 7000+ feet. I just wanted some advice before i go spending money on jets i don't need because i'm new to jetting carburetors.

-Thanks in advanced! 👍  :ride:

1. You don't want more air if it is turbulent, so don't 'drill holes' in anything. That is why they sell pipes.

2. You should know that motor is never going to get any real HP, because the head and carb are very restrictive.  It will make it run better, but not faster.

3. Yes you must rejet if you uncork the intake and exahust.

Google 'uncorking the CRF230" 

• Like 4

I agree those mods won't do anything , the f series aren't worth playing with as any mods worth doing will cost more than an upgrade to a larger sized engine or to the r version . Just focus on proper jetting and maybe get a after market pipe I guess if you just kinda wanna play with it . Drilling holes won't do anything good.

The right thing to do is invest is some plastic polish/cleaner and that sort of stuff for 30$ clean the crap out of it so it looks mint and totally stock ( no stickers or weird looking out of place Chinese billet stuff or holes in stuff) sell and get a larger bike or the r version or de-cork it ( if it even needs that ) mods decrease value per dollar spent . Drilling holes in stuff is even worse for resale.

• Like 1

From Mike Coe:

"This is what I recommend for your bike and all others with stock engine with exhaust baffle and airbox snorkel removed. I ride my stock bike from 0 - 6500+ elevation with no changes in jetting between the desert and mountains.

120 main jet (used to be 132)
45 pilot jet
Stock needle with clip in fourth groove from the top
Accessory needle with clip in fourth groove from the top."

Remove the intake restrictor at the top of the airbox and remove the baffle/silencer at the end of the exhaust muffler (one Torx screw).  DO NOT REMOVE THE SPARK ARRESTOR (three hex srews)!!!

BE SURE TO CHECK/SET PROPER FLOAT LEVEL!

And, of course, valve lash.

• Like 1

I know, who cares... My 269cc 230f. Has the stock air box without the OEM restrictor and no holes added to the air box, a 30mm XR250 carb, ported cylinder head and a huge camshaft.

I use Twin Air filters in everything.

Two of the (Three) back fire screens are removed.

This engine makes double stock HP (minimum)

I can guarantee that drilling holes in the air box and removing all three screens will do nothing for a stock and properly jetted 230f no matter what exhaust system is used.

But if it feels good and makes you happy then do it... It's your bike

Edited by adnohguy
  • Like 1