Sign in to follow this  

Well I guess a full rebuild is in order

So after 500 documented hours my father's yz finally let go. I am fortunate enough to be able to rebuild it and should have it up and going fairly quickly. All in total is should be roughly like $250 bucks and that includes a cylinder and a full motor rebuild kit.

20160124_183009.jpg

20160124_183017.jpg

20160124_183041.jpg

20160124_184011.jpg

20160124_200156.jpg

20160124_202747.jpg

20160124_202759.jpg

• Like 1

$250 is not bad. I take it the bottom end is ok or are you doing a top & bottom for that price?!

$250 is not bad. I take it the bottom end is ok or are you doing a top & bottom for that price?!

I plan to do everything. The bottom end rod is a little out of spec so it will need to be redone. I will be doing every bearing in the entire motor, a new cylinder and a new crank and a piston, It will be a complete overhaul.

I plan to do everything. The bottom end rod is a little out of spec so it will need to be redone. I will be doing every bearing in the entire motor, a new cylinder and a new crank and a piston, It will be a complete overhaul.

Where are you getting your piston, cylinder, crank for less than $250?

• Like 2

Where are you getting your piston, cylinder, crank for less than $250?

I am helping my father out and using my sponsors, they are a huge reason for my success and I am pleased with their products.

​GoYamaha

I am helping my father out and using my sponsors, they are a huge reason for my success and I am pleased with their products.

​GoYamaha

Ah, that makes sense. I was gonna ask you the vendor name otherwise!

Hate to say this but you could have gotten more hours out of it had you simply put new rings in. That is a classic ring end gap too large due to long over due wear. The overly warn ring hooked the port and destroyed everything in doing so.

Story of the bike:

I bought it in 2005 for my father off a guy on Craigslist that rode it on the road and was scared of it due to a fall he had. I paid a 1000 bucks for a bike that had almost no hours on it. I then gave it to my father on fathers day and we fixed the damage together and have recorded all the maintenance and hours in a log book. If it was my bike it would have been rebuilt a long time ago but my fathers mind is as follows, "if it ain't broke, don't touch it". I personally hate that mind set myself. So because of it now I have to fix his mess, which in all, the motor would have blown within the next 20 or so hours because the bottom end was so out of spec. Everything can and will be fixed plus some new goodies will be thrown in as well.

GoYamaha

Hate to say this but you could have gotten more hours out of it had you simply put new rings in. That is a classic ring end gap too large due to long over due wear. The overly warn ring hooked the port and destroyed everything in doing so.

you did see the pic of the piston and cylinder right?

also the op stating things are out of spec?

keep running that motor and the $250. would have doubled or tripled...

you did see the pic of the piston and cylinder right?

also the op stating things are out of spec?

keep running that motor and the $250. would have doubled or tripled...

I meant replace the warn rings before the warn rings caused all that damage ya douche.

On top of that...he is replacing EVERYTHING for 250$. Tell me mr. Smarty Pants...how could he double or triple that 250$.

Do you even read? Sheesh.

The only thing that I'm not replacing is the engine cases, trans, and the cylinder head (cap thing). Technically it could be more expensive but even if I would have pulled the piston at lets say 450 hours I would have done the whole thing then aswell. There is just to much time on the motor it would be stupid to just have done a top end. Almost all the parts are ordered and should be here within 2 weeks. Once I get the cylinder ordered I will know the exact numbers.

GoYamaha