Sign in to follow this  

Yukon /Alaska from Vancouver Island

I'm looking going to the Yukon and Alaska in July this year leaving from Port Hardy Vancouver Island ferry trip to Prince Rupert up the 37 to Watson Lake then Ross River to Dawson via keno city then into Alaska on my way in three weeks for the trip I'm doing it on a KTM 570 if interested post away I'm doing alone at the moment I'm open to suggestions on travel on meeting up halfway or whatever

Did that trip 3 years ago on my Bandit. Did the trip again last summer in the car with the whole famn damily. Really cool trip but please be sure to take extra fuel with you. It's alarming how many places have closed down in just a couple of years. GPS fuel stops are not guaranteed to still be in business.

I lived up those ways in Whitehorse I know all about the i get over 350 on a tank.. I'm going to go to kisault on the way and telegraph Creek also fun times... TALKING TO MYSELF.. LOL

Some of my favorite riding along the 37. Are you going to head into Stewart/Hydar? Too bad you'll miss Laird hot springs and Muncho Lake. I spent 5yrs working on the highway through that area. Months living in Watson Lake. Sadly I only made it to Whitehorse once though...

Only problem I had with that road was the chip sealing work that never seemed to end. I thought it was a good road this time around.

Muncho lake and liard hot springs are awesome. Watson lake signpost village is really cool too, left the fire dept plate from my truck.

Only problem I had with that road was the chip sealing work that never seemed to end. I thought it was a good road this time around.

Muncho lake and liard hot springs are awesome. Watson lake signpost village is really cool too, left the fire dept plate from my truck.

Lol, 99% positive it was me doing the quality control on the chip seal. The plan is to turn the road over to the provincial government which runs different transportation standards then the federal government.

I was following my friend on his BMW 1200GSA. As soon as I saw the huge cloud of dust, I slowed right down. Some of that loose gravel was up to 4" deep. No good for me and my sport tires.

Nice trip I would like to do something similar one day.

Are you going to be rough camping most the way? You do pack light. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453745185.918474.jpg

That's my set up for camping.

Love ya tank sticker, goats on the roof lol where you from Trail blaster

Bahaha you noticed! I'm originally from the Kootenays (Kaslo, near Nelson) and my girlfriends from Sooke. But these days we are living in Red Deer AB.

Yeah I got the sticker in Coombs lol such a great place, love that store!

You are lucky to be living on the island I bet you could just about ride now! And heaps of beautiful roads and beaches. We spent some time in Pt. Renfrew and made our way to Quadra and Cortes islands, did Saltspring too.

I'm assuming your from the island?

Bahaha you noticed! I'm originally from the Kootenays (Kaslo, near Nelson) and my girlfriends from Sooke. But these days we are living in Red Deer AB.

Yeah I got the sticker in Coombs lol such a great place, love that store!

I live in Sooke, took a road trip to Nelson & kaslo this summer with my 16yr old son on our bikes. Good times.

I haven't been up there in a four years, after I left Whitehorse. Has anyone gone up Robert Campbell hwy

I ride to the Yukon every June, been doing that ride for over 4 years. Camping all the way and back, and taking a month and a bit to do the round trip from my shack in SE BC. I carry spare fuel, but have only used it in my Coleman 533 stove. Unless you have an exceptionally small fuel tank, you can make the trip without too many worries. Using the interior route of BC Hwy 97 to Prince George is a good route, lots of villages and towns for essentials. The Alcan Hwy mostly from Toad River to Watson Lake can be tricky for fuel ...there are still signs indicating fuel stops xx miles ahead, but the stations are abandoned. 

#16 west from Prince George has many towns and fuel/food stops so that stretch is no problem. The junction of 16/37 near Kitwanga has food and fuel and there is fuel available off the 37 (Cassiar Hwy) in the First Nations village Gitanyow, farther up 37 in Meziadin Jct. good food and fuel, in Bell ll, Tatogga Lake Resort, Iskut, Dease Lake, and at Watson Jct where 37 meets the Alcan Hwy. A bit west of the Watson Jct there is a great place to fuel up, dine and camp at Rancheria. Also a great area to hike around and explore on foot. Beyond Rancheria to the west is Teslin with a couple of busy gas stations and restaurants. Farther west is Johnson Landing then Jakes Corners, but I can't confirm availability of fuel at  those two locations. Whitehorse has anything you can think of, big busy Yukon town with multiple bike dealerships,hardware camping, hotels supermarkets etc.

The ride form Whitehorse to Dawson City has well spaced fuel stops, with a fairly new self serve "cardlock" station at the Junction of Yukon 2 and 5, the 5 is the road to Inuvik.

Have a great ride Amigo ...