Sign in to follow this  

Drz 2005 suspension setup

Hey guy just bought last week my first drz400 s want to know what are good rebound and hard soft setting for the front and rear standard suspension I'm 83kgs cheers

Start by going to stock settings - they're in the manual. (Need a copy?)

What kind of riding? Mild offroad? Then I'd advise trying to speed up the front action a little bit by loosening up both compression and rebound. Compression out until it feels taut-ish but plush over trail trash. Say 4-6 out from stock? It's kinda tricky to get a feel for what the rebound is doing so just 1-2 clicks at a time and try a setting for a while. (I liked rebound further and further out until I started getting headshake when changing lanes on the freeway.)

From stock rear, screw the rebound screw in a bit until it stops kicking up hard when the rear goes over stuff the size of a cub or large-ish rock. Then it's hard to tell about compression. The rear valving setup allows it to wallow A LOT - let someone ride it over some bumps and you'll see what I mean. Keep rear compression stock unless someone has a recommendation or until you have a bit of a feel for the bike and try something?

But you really really do want to get new springs and a revalve. The suspension units on the DRZ are good - quite good! - but the setup is such that it's not possible to get anything more than a poor compromise with the clickers only. Respring and revalve is relatively easy and a lot of fun. Good investment of money or time whether you do it yourself or take it to a shop. (To put it in context, your DRZ is almost 300 pounds of metal suspended on 12" long springs and oil that you sit on and take flying over rocks ... The suspension is your link to the ground and the only thing that keeps a rein on that hunk of metal! Dirt bike suspension MUST be set up properly! And it MUST be set up internally because the clickers don't really do much of anything ... Here's a VERY good thread if you're into DIY: https://thumpertalk.com/topic/1035004-drz-fork-revalve-shim-stack-discussion-recommendations/... or just take it to a reputable suspension shop nearby.)

Also! Do set your rear sag (and fork height maybe) so that it rides stable and agile. A balance of wants-to-turn-in and wants-to-go-straight.

• Like 3

Cheers mate that was exactly what I wanted I just find the rebound on my Drz is very slow and I'll be doing 90%off road riding on hard rock and dirt surfaces

And I don't have a user manual so I will need a copy please

Listen to Anthon, he's a major contributor on that suspension thread.

Oh no!! just a me-too muppet! I simply followed the trail blazed by others but did try to clear out some brush while I was at it 🙂

• Like 1

You guys at the shim stacking post have cleared some big fallen trees from the trail and are a credit to this forum.

I have to say the shim stack thread is over my head. I understand the theory but have no experience.  

I've looked for threads on setup but the links given are all dead. Sounds like they were erased during a change over.

So any help for us rookies is much appreciated.

I have to say the shim stack thread is over my head. I understand the theory but have no experience.  

I've looked for threads on setup but the links given are all dead. Sounds like they were erased during a change over.

So any help for us rookies is much appreciated.

Yeah it's a bit much to take in at once! I did start at zero too - that thread is really good to come back to from time to time. It has a hard real-world connection to stand on as you delve deeper 🙂

But someone should write a digest! I'd be quite proud of myself if I can find the gumption to do so.

• Like 2

Yeah it's a bit much to take in at once! I did start at zero too - that thread is really good to come back to from time to time. It has a hard real-world connection to stand on as you delve deeper 🙂

But someone should write a digest! I'd be quite proud of myself if I can find the gumption to do so.

:ride:  👍