Sign in to follow this  

Think about trading

So I was thinking about trading for a kx 250f , guy said the valves need shimmed , won't start , any way to check this or a good way to tell if that's all I would need to do ?

Pull the tank and head cover, grab some feeler gauges and measure valve clearance.

It probably needs more than a shimming. Expect the worst. Probably needs valves and a timing chain minimum.

Do not buy the bike. If you do, reduce the price/value by the cost of a complete valve replacement and valve seat cutting. Get the price yourself and if you do the trade, get the work done yourself, do not let the guy take it to 'some guy he knows'. Send the head off to APE or FastHeads or BigBoreThumpers.

When a guy is 'too busy' to do a simple fix, there is more to the story. Probably already been reshimmed a few times and the valves are about to fail catastrophically.

Unless you are very mechanical, would not recommend buying a bike that 1. won't start and 2. they won't let you actually inspect. Run away, fast.

OK thanks that was my thoughts pretty much. A new recut head is like 700 , to 1200 . So not worth the damage