Sign in to follow this  

How Fast Does It Go!?

For the hell of it... How fast have you taken your KTM/Husky up to? I'm not sure how accurate the speedo is on these bikes but I hit 110 the other day with 14/45 gearing, opened up exhaust, EU map, all setup for off road, no blinkers or mirrors 12 psi in tires. Felt surprisingly stable and got up to speed quick, felt like it had a little more.

For the hell of it... How fast have you taken your KTM/Husky up to? I'm not sure how accurate the speedo is on these bikes but I hit 110 the other day with 14/45 gearing, opened up exhaust, EU map, all setup for off road, no blinkers or mirrors 12 psi in tires. Felt surprisingly stable and got up to speed quick, felt like it had a little more.

The 2015/2016 ktm speedos are very accurate ( different from the Husky), however the tire installed can change that. Ive had front tires that were off GPS (2 to 3 mph) and tires that were spot on.

I have a specific area where Ive done top speed testing . its totally flat with a very slight uphill grade at worst. Running the other way is a slight down hill (so I don't use that way). Even the wind direction can effect substantially.

Ive hit 111mph indicated , did not have my gps on that particular time, But it was a freshly tested GPS tire  , so I use a 1 mph error

That was with 15/46  , I could probably drop the gearing more  and gain top speed, but it also lowers the comfortable cruising range at the same time as you do this.  Which is an issue for me

Ive probably done 50 + full throttle top end runs

• Like 1

Nice! I don't know why they would have different speedos if 90% of the Husky/KTM are the same. But you could be right

I've had mine up to 95mph with 14/50 gearing. Not at the rev limiter but don't think I would push it much more than that. I'm 225 lbs without gear.

• Like 1

I've had mine up to 95mph with 14/50 gearing.

I'm running 14/50 as well... 95 sounds close for that gearing.... but, you'll find theres a little more to be had once you set the front wheel down....

• Like 1

Iv e gotten mine to 75mph, start to get wicked head shake though. I keep it under 70.

These bikes don't head shake unless there's a problem. I'd look for issues. Suspension, tires, balance, etc. they are light and twitchy, but head shake is different.

These bikes don't head shake unless there's a problem. I'd look for issues. Suspension, tires, balance, etc. they are light and twitchy, but head shake is different.

Agree, at 95mph mine was so smooth I was shocked. No weird vibrations or head shake.

My old yz would head shake like crazy, but my 500 does not, at least not on smooth ground. I've had it to 85, no real place here to go faster, unless you're ok risking a ticket on a public road.

Nice! I don't know why they would have different speedos if 90% of the Husky/KTM are the same. But you could be right

they look more like the 2014 and lower speedo, but could even be completely different than those.  But definitely different than 2015 plus

Edited by Spud786

I don't have balanced wheels, what in the suspension would cause that? It's been like that since I go it. Think I could just tighten the neck nut?

104 at redline with 13/48 gearing in black rock Nevada (burning man) dry lake bed wide open throwing a ton of dirt. Ran out of rpm not power.

• Like 1

104 at redline with 13/48 gearing in black rock Nevada (burning man) dry lake bed wide open throwing a ton of dirt. Ran out of rpm not power.

sounds about right. With stock gearing I'm convinced 115-120 wouldn't be a problem

sounds about right. With stock gearing I'm convinced 115-120 wouldn't be a problem

Stock gearing will definitely do 120mph, the motor doesn't have the ummph to pull it though with stock gearing.

Can't speak to the husky... But no non-factory wrenched KTM 500 2012 and later can pull 115-120 in any gearing on a flat. These figures come up once in a while and people do math on paper, but as Spud says, the bike is drag limited past about 105-109 GPS corrected and the motor can't punch through any more. There is no hitting the limiter in 6th with stock gearing. Think Toby's Factory EXC pulls 115 according to some comments he's made recently, but not sure what work the factory has done to it.

I don't have balanced wheels, what in the suspension would cause that? It's been like that since I go it. Think I could just tighten the neck nut?

Balance has the most effect, but too light on compression or slow on rebound (or a combo of both) will cause it suspension wise, especially if hitting bumps at high speed. Basically if the suspension stops reacting quickly enough, it will start searching for a direction.

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

Can't speak to the husky... But no non-factory wrenched KTM 500 2012 and later can pull 115-120 in any gearing on a flat. These figures come up once in a while and people do math on paper, but as Spud says, the bike is drag limited past about 105-109 GPS corrected and the motor can't punch through any more. There is no hitting the limiter in 6th with stock gearing. Think Toby's Factory EXC pulls 115 according to some comments he's made recently, but not sure what work the factory has done to it.

I wonder how much rider weight plays a role in the top speed. Let's say a rider that 130lbs compared to 225 lbs.
  • Like 1

You have to balance the wheels of you want smooth running at speed. With unbalanced wheels you're going to have things hoping all over the place at cruising speeds or faster.

• Like 1