Sign in to follow this  

Aluminum vs. Plastic Throttle Tube

No matter how much I clean my throttle tube and cable housing it sounds a little "crunchy". It's from the end of the tube scraping against the inside of the housing. Could also be the cables rubbing against the plastic guides. I'm interested in these aluminum tubes and would like some feedback from someone that has switched from plastic to aluminum. I have barkbusters with threaded bar inserts so the aluminium tube would need to be compatible. I've seen the G2, Sunline, and Moose tubes which appear to work with barkbusters, but I'm curious how these tubes perform since there is seemingly nothing supporting them at the bar end and preventing metal to metal contact.

Edited by mossman77

You could try some dry graphite or MbS2 based lube they don't contain oils that attract dirt.

I don't think an aluminum tube would be better and that if you go new get plastic

Alum against the steel cable is going to generate aluminum oxide grit basically and even if you don't notice anything I risky it'll come back very quickly . Without lubrication you can't run most metal metal contacts

I prefer the plastic ones too. The high quality ones have Teflon impregnated and the tube is used dry (no lube at all).

If your grip does not cover the end and you drop the bike, you have to remove the throttle and clean the bar and tube out.

I've already cleaned and lubed the tube. I'm hearing roughness inside the cable housing or whatever it's called. Do the plastic ones wear out eventually and need replacing? Mine is nine years old.

9 years, get a new plastic/nylon one.   Thought the alum tubes rattled too much, guess you'd get used to it.  Had a alum with dellrin bushings that was better, feared the bushing would need frequent replacement. Wrong, thew bushings were tougher than the alum bar and wore grooves into it.  Went back to plastic.   If your noise is in the housing it may just need some cable adjustment, freeplay.

Edited by highmarker

Pretty sure the noise is the cam on the tube rubbing against the housing. Not sure how to eliminate this other than maybe some dry graphite. Best to go with an OEM tube or are there superior aftermarket ones?

Edited by mossman77