Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust exploded on track

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453730470.027302.jpg never seen anything like this. Happened yesterday at the Florida tracks and trails. Was on the track in second gear and the exhaust just split in 2.

You're riding an older 2-stroke, right?  My guess is that the whole exhaust system has been tweaked (smokers will do that when the expansion chamber hits the ground in a wreck) and you finally hit the point where that stress resulted in a part failing.  No big deal.  Try to straighten out the expansion chamber so everything lines up pretty straight when you put the new silencer on.

You're riding an older 2-stroke, right? My guess is that the whole exhaust system has been tweaked (smokers will do that when the expansion chamber hits the ground in a wreck) and you finally hit the point where that stress resulted in a part failing. No big deal. Try to straighten out the expansion chamber so everything lines up pretty straight when you put the new silencer on.

yeah a 2000 ktm 300 exc. yes I was wondering why the expansion chamber did not line up with the brackets on the frame, makes sense now thanks !

yeah a 2000 ktm 300 exc. yes I was wondering why the expansion chamber did not line up with the brackets on the frame, makes sense now thanks !

Yup, those expansion chambers twist and bend quite a bit. I always dread when I take mine off, I never know if I'll get them to line up again! LOL. https://www.piperepair.com/tips.htm has some good instructions on how to straighten out an expansion chamber so it lines. With a little trial and error, you can get it pretty straight again. Certainly good enough to avoid the kind of stress to have a repeat of what just happened.

• Like 1