Sign in to follow this  

Is my 96 xr600 headlight AC or DC?

Hi i just want to know if anyone can tell me whether the current to my headlight is AC or DC as i want to fit a HID kit to it but the kit will only run on DC current and not AC. Any help would be greatly appreciated as the standard globe light output is about as good as a candle.

600r's are AC. There is no battery. Will your light work on it? Someone with more experience will chime in. But if it were me...would i try a 100 dollar (+/-) light with a chance of ruining it? Not me. There are numerous lights to use if it doesnt work. You need a regulator/ rectifier. You dont have one on the 600r. I wouldnt run DC.

Going thru a reg rec project myself come pay day!

Can anyone point me in the right direction for halogen conversions?

Just buy a higher wattage bulb, its not really a conversion. Your nearest dealer should have one in stock.

Led would be another option. Many guys are going with the cyclopse led's and I think you can get a rec/reg for them to convert to dc.

My 95 has a cyclops on stock stator. AC. Is the cyclops led supposed to be DC? Ill look tomorrow. Its dark. I dont ride much anymore but i know my cyclops works. BUT...i did have to get something with the bulb, from cyclops, to run it on a 600r. Whats that thing called? Ill look tomorrow. I forgot. But my light works as others did. A little bumbly at idle rpms. But steady at any riding rpms.

Electrical is not my zone. But ive done some recently so im a little in tune understanding it.

Now...can you use that cyclops pre light device on your light? Maybe. It had the three prong honda light connection.

You already own the light you speak of OP?

Fyi i just checked cyclops. The device IS called a rectifier. So maybe you can use theirs. If you dont own that light yet maybe go cyclops

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C

Dont mix AC and DC lights as there will most likely be issue.  although voltage is voltage, and an incandescent lamp can burn with AC or DC power, it still needs to be the correct voltage that the lamp is rated for.  LEDs are another story and many of them need either DC or AC specific power and the correct voltage.  Ensure you know what you have and how you are powering them.  Yes, the XR is AC power.  In fact, all motorcycles produce AC power, but change it to 12 volts DC via the regulator and rectifier.  this is used to charge your battery and store the power for use when the engine is not running and run most of the bikes functions.  even the XR or any motorcyle can be hooked up to run a battery and have a steady stream of DC power for lights or anything else you want..