Sign in to follow this  

2010 450 EXC Champ Newby Questions

I'm new to KTM, picked this bike up recently. Have street bikes, an adventure bike, and CRFs. I have two areas of questions:

Headlight

The headlight is very dim, especially in low beam. I'm wondering if low beam is even coming on. Maybe it's just parking lights I see and the lowbeam isn't connected. When I look at the headlamp, there are 3 connectors. One connector to the side looks to be parking light (brown). There are two connectors together but one is open, the other is connected to a blue wire. A green wire is headed into another direction and I've wondered if maybe it is connected wrong.

Any suggestions?

Is there an easy LED replacement for this headlight?

Speedo

Concerning the display, it doesn't come on automatically. When I touch a button, it displays for a bit, then shuts off. Is this something I can customize to stay on? And the speed readout only shows zero. Any known issues I should check right off the bat for that issue?

Thanks for any suggestions.

20160125_043816265_iOS (Medium).jpg

Sounds like there is an issue with the speedo  sensor or magnet on the disk. 

Baja designs squadron XL light is what in running. There are also some other cheaper ones out there but depends on how much you want to spend

1453781357677.jpg

Check the magnet on the brake disc, then the connector at the brake caliper. The wires behind the headlight mask are fine and prone to damage, or the connectors coming apart. Maybe the battery in the speedometer needs to be replaced. 

As to the headlight, it appears there is a connector missing from a tab. You can download the owner's manual from Munn Racing, and look at the wiring diagram to see which wire to look for. Is the switch on the handlebar or beside the speedometer? 

Thanks for all the tips, I'll spend some time this weekend looking at it. It looks like the green connector should be on the light. It's plugged into something else. Strange (came like that). I know the prior owner made some mods, might be related to that.

Another less expensive option for a LED light is a Cyclops. It's a bulb that is plug and play in the stock headlight assembly for EFI KTMs. Pre-EFI KTMs such as yours will require a rectifier to run any LED light set up as well.

Cyclops sells the LED bulb and Rectifier. Here's a link to both:

Bulb ($49): http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3600-Lumen-LED-Headlight-bulb-for-DirtbikesDual-Sports_p_97.html

Rectifier ($39): http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Rectifier-for-LED-Light-Module_p_85.html

Edited by farmboybunk

Excellent, thanks. What exactly does the rectifier do? I have an upgraded stator, will I still need it?

LEDs require DC power. A rectifier converts AC power to DC power.

If your bike has DC power after the stator upgrade then no you would not need the rectifier, But if it still has AC power then yes you would need the rectifier for an LED bulb.

Edited by farmboybunk