Bought a bike with title on the way

So in September of 2015, I bought an 04 crf250r for $1500. The kid and dad went to the dmv before and had registered it so we couldn't have the title yet. They showed us proof of the registration and drivers license that it was in his name. It's now January 25 and he still hasn't sent me the title. It doesn't take 4 months for a title to ship so I don't know what's going on. I live in San Diego and he lives in valley center, not a close drive. Is there any way I can get a title or have the dmv contact him??? I have a copy of his regidtration, his address and the phone number. Please help me

I hate to say it but if you paid for the bike in full already the sellers are done (lazyasses) with the deal already.

All you can do now is go back to their front door and ask whats going on. You'll probably have to do this time and time again.

Have you called the sellers and asked whats up. You may need to start calling everyday till you bug them into results.

And they'll prob tell you opps we have just been so busy  (spending your money)...

I hate to say it but if you paid for the bike in full already the sellers are done (lazyasses) with the deal already.

All you can do now is go back to their front door and ask whats going on. You'll probably have to do this time and time again.

Have you called the sellers and asked whats up. You may need to start calling everyday till you bug them into results.

And they'll prob tell you opps we have just been so busy  (spending your money)...

And then they can call the cops and say that the guy that stole our bike is at our front door.  (Unless he has a bill of sale)

also in CA. we need too go to DMV within 5 or is 10 days after buying and start the registration.

So if you have a dated bill of sale you maybe paying some extra fines.

Never pay all money amount till paper work is good ,if the seller is honest he'll understand that. 

When a person goes to DMV (in all states I have ever been in) to do a title transfer and get registration, plates, they hand them all to you WHILE YOU ARE THERE unless there is a lien (by a bank) in which case the title is sent to the bank.

Contact the DMV, bring what you have. They may not tell you much but they will tell you if there is a lien and who has it. Then if there is a lien, and the payoff was not made, the financing company/bank might repo it.

Not title in hand, no deal. Every week this comes up.

Sorry but I have to laugh at all the guys that say 'you do not need the title/MSO/MCO. You can skip it because you will have to pay taxes or some other BS. Go to make an insurance claim or proof of ownership during a dispute.

As Jeff Spicoli says 'No title, no dice, dude'.

• Like 2

When a person goes to DMV (in all states I have ever been in) to do a title transfer and get registration, plates, they hand them all to you WHILE YOU ARE THERE unless there is a lien (by a bank) in which case the title is sent to the bank.

Contact the DMV, bring what you have. They may not tell you much but they will tell you if there is a lien and who has it. Then if there is a lien, and the payoff was not made, the financing company/bank might repo it.

Not title in hand, no deal. Every week this comes up.

Sorry but I have to laugh at all the guys that say 'you do not need the title/MSO/MCO. You can skip it because you will have to pay taxes or some other BS. Go to make an insurance claim or proof of ownership during a dispute.

As Jeff Spicoli says 'No title, no dice, dude'.

Neither Oregon or Washington give you a title on the spot. It comes in the mail 6-8 weeks later. Oregon gives you a plate on the spot if it is street legal and previously registered out of state.

Hopefully you have a bill of sale and documents proving you purchased the bike. You are probably just going to have to keep calling or showing up until they give it to you. They have no motivation at this point if you have already paid them the full amount. Good luck.

Im assuming they didnt have the title yet because they were waiting for it in the mail(6-8 weeks is ridiculous btw). The only way to do this in Michigan is to go to the secretary of state(dmv) with the seller and have them process it, basically the same as the seller having lost the title.

Good luck, hopefully they are honest and just lazy. My buddy in Sacramento said he got his last title transferred back after less than 3 weeks.

So in September of 2015, I bought an 04 crf250r for $1500. The kid and dad went to the dmv before and had registered it so we couldn't have the title yet. They showed us proof of the registration and drivers license that it was in his name. It's now January 25 and he still hasn't sent me the title. It doesn't take 4 months for a title to ship so I don't know what's going on. I live in San Diego and he lives in valley center, not a close drive. Is there any way I can get a title or have the dmv contact him??? I have a copy of his regidtration, his address and the phone number. Please help me

Have you tried to contact them? Everyone is so quick to jump on the "your screwed and dumb for buying a bike without the title in hand..." There are still a lot of honest people out there!!!! They very well could have misplaced your number or address to mail the title to.

If you have their number give them a call and see whats up.

If you are unable to get a hold of them, take all the info to the DMV. They should be able to give you documents to send certified mail, with tracking and signature required. If you don't get any response from them you take all that to the DMV with the Bill of Sale and you should be able to get some help.

Also the CA DMV is full of stupid people, sometimes you'll get someone not willing to work with you because they are lazy. So you may have to try a couple of times before you get someone willing to actually help you out.

Registration and title are two seperate things. I doubt a bike that old would have a lienholder but who knows. If you have a bill of sale you should be ablento get the title amd registration issued to you asnlongnas the title is clear and in the name of the person who issued the bill of sale. You will pay extra in fees for lost title etc.

Have you tried to contact them? Everyone is so quick to jump on the "your screwed and dumb for buying a bike without the title in hand..." There are still a lot of honest people out there!!!! They very well could have misplaced your number or address to mail the title to.

If you are unable to get a hold of them, take all the info to the DMV. They should be able to give you documents to send certified mail, with tracking and signature required. If you don't get any response from them you take all that to the DMV with the Bill of Sale and you should be able to get some help.

Also the CA DMV is full of stupid people, sometimes you'll get someone not willing to work with you because they are lazy. So you may have to try a couple of times before you get someone willing to actually help you out.

yea i contacted him every 2 weeks up until now. It's the same response or sometimes no response

Wow everyone is so quick to jump on the people at dmv and call them names.

i never called theCarneAsada names or jumped him. I did and will thrash the sellers for not getting the job done.

I'm just saying I have a gal friend that works at dmv.

So what is seller telling you or whats his excuse for being lame.

Ask him also for some money back to cover your late fines if any.

Also have you checked with dmv and seller,perhaps the the sellers turned in the release of liability (which would show you are the new owner after you complete paper work )  and in that case the dmv won't send you a title till you pay and do transfer paper work.

Just saying maybe paper work held up with dmv

Edited by rider58