Sign in to follow this  

Oregon Northwest trip 2016

My wife and I are heading to Oregon from Colorado this May.  She doesn't really ride so I will be on solo missions and would love to hook up with some locals.  I'll buy a good tour guide some beers for sure!!!  We plan to hit the coastal dunes for sure.  I am looking for singletrack mostly.  I'm looking for some guidance on where to go and it would be awesome if there was someone to hook up with and go ride.  I'd say I'm an intermediate rider with a YZ 250 smoker setup for woods and a second one setup for dunes and MX.  I'd like to ride a track somewhere out there too.  Ideas? 

TSF is about an hour west of Portland.  It's low and close to the ocean, so snow wont be an issue.

Hood River also has good single track, but snow still may be an issue in May.

There's a few good tracks within an hour of Portland....Washougal and (especially) Mt View MX are bitchin.

Dunes....

Sand Lake sucks.  Dont bother.

Florence is good, but busy (can ride on the beach)

Winchester is great and has tall dunes (can't ride on the beach)

Coos Bay has less elevation, but more trees and water. (can ride on the beach)

PM me when its closer and I'll show you some woods riding.  I sold my yz250 though, so no more dunes for me.

• Like 1

Where is this? 

Trail name is Benny Hill, it's between Lyda Camp(aka Prison Camp) and Jordan Creek Staging areas in the Tillamook State Forest. Basically the other side of the highway of Diamond Mill, and one ridge over from being in the Trask OHV.

Diamond Mill has more of the technical single track with a lot of fairly steep downhills and switch backs, side hills and ridge riding. Same thing with the Trask, but the Trask is not marked thanks to the local Tillbillies. A lot of single track in the Lyda Camp and Jordan Creek area, but you will run into a lot of quad trails and 4WD ones as well, but still plenty enough of technical riding to keep you busy in that area as well. Stay clear of Browns camp.

As others have said, Hood River could still have issues with snow at that point. There is also Upper Nestucca OHV as well, not nearly as good as the Tillamook State Forest though.

Those are good places if you are sticking around Portland. Sadly Gifford will be still under snow at that point as well.

As for tracks, Washougal is certainly a track to check out, along with Mountain View out in Sandy. Portland International Raceway has a Thursday night MX series, so if you are interested in racing or just spectating I'd recommend that as well.

• Like 1

Hit the Siskyous on your way north near the CA- OR border. Some good year round riding in the lower foothills, and if early thaw up higher.   Hit a bike shop and ask for a guide.

Sounds like some good riding!  We are sort of wavering on dates due to the spring snow pack up high.  What is typically the best time of year to explore Oregon/ So. Washington?  We want to check out some other sites and swimming holes as well.  IE Crater Lake and Some river cliff jumps. 

Sounds like some good riding!  We are sort of wavering on dates due to the spring snow pack up high.  What is typically the best time of year to explore Oregon/ So. Washington?  We want to check out some other sites and swimming holes as well.  IE Crater Lake and Some river cliff jumps. 

Prospect OHV is near Crater lake, some incredible riding there as well!

"We want to check out some other sites and swimming holes as well. IE Crater Lake and Some river cliff jumps.

If you are looking to swim in Oregon, May is not the time lol. Crater lake average temps in May are 45/70. Went there a few years ago in September and there was still snow in the shade. Water was chilly but bearable. Really cool experience though. If your trip falls on the right weekend I would be happy to show you some pretty good single track in the Tillamook State Forest.

For sure swimming is way to cold in May in a lot of areas around Oregon, but u can at the beach and miscellaneous rivers towards the coast, just be ready to freeze your balls off haha. There are some hot springs around too in places. Prime time for riding in TSF though!

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to Southern Oregon from Reno, NV on the first week of May. My friend and I are looking to get 4-5 days of riding in. We are looking for technical single track in the woods so this thread is very helpful, THANK YOU!

TSF is about an hour west of Portland. It's low and close to the ocean, so snow wont be an issue.

Hood River also has good single track, but snow still may be an issue in May.

There's a few good tracks within an hour of Portland....Washougal and (especially) Mt View MX are bitchin.

Dunes....

Sand Lake sucks. Dont bother.

Florence is good, but busy (can ride on the beach)

Winchester is great and has tall dunes (can't ride on the beach)

Coos Bay has less elevation, but more trees and water. (can ride on the beach)

PM me when its closer and I'll show you some woods riding. I sold my yz250 though, so no more dunes for me.

PC, you should take him where we went last year, he will love it!

PC, you should take him where we went last year, he will love it!

You mean the place with the exposed trails where our crew left us for dead?  I freakin' love that place!   :goofy:  

let's go moto soon, brother!

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to Southern Oregon from Reno, NV on the first week of May. My friend and I are looking to get 4-5 days of riding in. We are looking for technical single track in the woods so this thread is very helpful, THANK YOU!

I'd suggest you start a new thread for Southern OR riding.  I know Johns Peak and Timber Mtn are down south, but I dont know much about them.

I've ridden out of Roseburg and the riding was great, but nothing is marked or mapped and you'll need a guide.  If you were heading further north I could be of more assistance.

You've got some great riding where you're at too.  I spend a couple weeks every year staging from mammoth and have a few buddies who show me around.  The white and sweetwater ranges are great.  I want to get over to downieville and fish lake valley this year.  Holler if you are interested in joining us.

Edited by Pincushion

Cool, thanks. Yeah, anytime anyone from up there wants to ride around Reno, I'll be happy to show you around!

You mean the place with the exposed trails where our crew left us for dead? I freakin' love that place! :goofy:

let's go moto soon, brother!

Yea, the place we were left for dead! Boy we sure fooled them, haha