Sign in to follow this  

XR650R autodecomp Stuck in closed position?

Hi Pig riders!

I searched the forum and found some threads but not the answer to my question.

I have a 01 XR650R.

She is uncorked, using nearly no oil, and befor winter (3 months ago) she was running on the first kick.

Now she was sitting in the garage for 3 months and as i started her today i noticed something is slightly different.

My start procedure is search for tdc with the kicker, pulling decomp leaver, kick 1 inch further and than give her a full kick.

This has normally done the job.

But now wenn i do the final kick it seems like the autodecmopressor is stuck in the do nothing position because wenn iam half way down with the kicker i kick against the next compression stroke and this stops my kick.

Normally i didnt feel the next compressionstroke because i think the autodecomp was still engaged.

So its hard to reach enaugh rpm to start but when she is running, she runs perfectly fine!

Can the autodecomp be stuck?

Iam planing to check the valves next weekend, could a valve out of spec cause this? Can i visually inspect the autodecomp for failure?

thanks a lot!

Edited by BigRedBraaap

Trying to find compression with the auto decompressor sucks, you are probably a little rusty at it. Honda intended for you to just kick away at it.

The manual lever was for clearing the motor after a spill.

If you are going to start it "old school", do yourself a favor and remove the auto decomp. Remove cam, press sprocket off, remove auto decomp. , block oil feed hole by welding or as I did epoxie a sleeve [marine tex , bel zona, etc]. Press sprocket on . . . no guess work finding compression.

I liked the early XRs with the cable operated mechanical auto decompressor. Stroke the kicker to compression, let it return to top of stroke and kick !

Hey thank you for your reply.

I will try that without using the lever!

But 3 months ago i was able to kick her down in a fluid motion, now i have such a hard compression half way down the kicker wich nearly holds my whole bodyweight.

Why is that?

thank you

Oh, sounds like auto decompressor is not working as intended, I would have to take it down and have a look, then proceed to remove it, making sure it has not lost any of its bits. Reassemble without it.

Ok i will check valves this weekend and pull out the cam for inspection.

But is it bad for the Engine? like wenn i kick with full power against this hard compression?

Like bad for the barings and crank and stuff?

thanks

Edited by BigRedBraaap

Yes kicking against full compression can break kickstarter and its drive system or possibly your foot.

If auto decompressor is not working I would have to inspect it, and would not run the bike until inspected.

They are engineering "miracles" with little bits spinning . . . I don't like em', they do serve purpose on 650L elect

ric start

Edited by bsa441