And 2006 or later yz125. Search around they are a high demand now but there are many of them. They are almost completely unchanged from the 2015 models. From 2006-2009 they had minor annual updates such as nicer brakes, oversize bars, seperate bar clamps etc. They are just as nice as the 2016 models that are still swarming the tracks every where

• Like 2

Im not a yamaha fan at all but i'll have a look into them  👍

And 2006 or later yz125. Search around they are a high demand now but there are many of them. They are almost completely unchanged from the 2015 models. From 2006-2009 they had minor annual updates such as nicer brakes, oversize bars, seperate bar clamps etc. They are just as nice as the 2016 models that are still swarming the tracks every where

I think you should be looking for the newest Yz 125 you can afford they rip.

• Like 2

With a 125 you make have to check the top end more often that a larger bike but it will be extremely cheap (~$100) and very easy to do. Maybe every 20-30 hours or so you could get more time just depends on how low of compression you can live with. And you can usually just replace rings every other time

I have a lot of experience with 125s and ride and race them even though I'm in my 50s.  

1.  Right now I am running and 06 yz and an 03 yz 125. Even though the 06 has all the "goodies" (aluminum frame, new style motor, SSS suspension), I like the 03 better by a small margin.  So if it were me I would be looking for an 01 to 04 in blue flavor

2. If you want to go yellow, look at RMs after 02 or so.  The 03 to 04 motor change is not the big deal people make it out to be (had both).  Best choice will be low hour bike.

3. 03 to 05 kx 125 is a great bike.  If you see one in good shape, buy it.

4. Hondas are probably the best handling of the bunch, but the lack of a 6th gear drove me crazy where I used to live (lots of open fire roads to get to trails)  They also are weak at low rpm, but if you are a good rider you are never in that rpm range anyway.

5. Oddly, I have never owned a ktm small bore, but based in experience with bigger ktms, i would not hesitate with a low hour model.

I would be looking for the lowest hour, least modified bike possible.  That is far more important than the brand in my opinion.

Edited by rpt50

Yeah ok thanks for feedback  :crazy:  :aussy:

I have a lot of experience with 125s and ride and race them even though I'm in my 50s.  

1.  Right now I am running and 06 yz and an 03 yz 125. Even though the 06 has all the "goodies" (aluminum frame, new style motor, SSS suspension), I like the 03 better by a small margin.  So if it were me I would be looking for an 01 to 04 in blue flavor

2. If you want to go yellow, look at RMs after 02 or so.  The 03 to 04 motor change is not the big deal people make it out to be (had both).  Best choice will be low hour bike.

3. 03 to 05 kx 125 is a great bike.  If you see one in good shape, buy it.

4. Hondas are probably the best handling of the bunch, but the lack of a 6th gear drove me crazy where I used to live (lots of open fire roads to get to trails)  They also are weak at low rpm, but if you are a good rider you are never in that rpm range anyway.

5. Oddly, I have never owned a ktm small bore, but based in experience with bigger ktms, i would not hesitate with a low hour model.

I would be looking for the lowest hour, least modified bike possible.  That is far more important than the brand in my opinion.

ozzy ozzy ozzy , oi oi oi lol

if you get the ktm you can change out to a 200cc if you want later on

on second thoughts just buy a 200cc :-)

TTR 125 is deff most reliable, usually cheaper, also an e start version

Haha in all honesty the YZ is probably the best, they're still making all the two strokes to this day unlike other manufactures who went four stroke. YZs also tend to make the most power and rev highest