Sign in to follow this  

Harescramblin XR250

I was getting on here to do my first post about the plans to race my 2012 CRF230 in a Southeastern harescramble series. I started reading posts about the rear shock and from what I came across the best route to go is the new fox shock that is $700 but some cheaper options are available like finding an older xr250 shock.  I started searching Craigslist and concluded my best bet would be to just sell the 230 and buy one of these clean, over priced but never ridden with the original tires 04 XR250s. This is what I was looking for in the first place but I could not find one.  I have a blown up 05 RM250 with the really good showa forks re-valved for woods racing and was wondering what it takes or if it is worth it to put these type of forks on a 96-04 XR250. What are some other mods/extras besides; pegs,fast flexxbars, bar risers,skid plate, hand guards, and nitrous that are good for the XR250? I do not want to get into the motor and not to worried about power but what pipe is best and other things that can be done to make it run better?(I was joking about nitrous)   I have ridden all my life and after some success hanging with the fastest guys around 7-8 years ago I wanted to get serious about racing H.S’s, endure ,and GNCC.  Something always came up and id only get to do a few races and never got in shape but I did always have the new hooked up race bike with all the goodies until a couple years ago until I listened to my dad and figured out I can have as much fun or more on a good old red trail bike that only requires air in the tires

Seriously the stock forks are very very good.  DO NOT PUT ON A CRUMMY SET OF USD FORKS.

I would beef up the clutch with HD clutch springs at least.  I suggest a 300CC kit.  HUGE difference over stock and a noticable improvement over a 280 kit. Stock cam is OK or a Torque cam.  Be sure to run the best synthetic motorcycle racing oil that you can get. These engine tend to run hot even stock. I ran Maxima Extra Synthetic racing oil in mine. Changed the oil every 300 miles or so. The stock exhaust is very good with the diffuser pulled out.  An aftermarket exhaust will NOT produce more power but may be a bit lighter. With the big bore kit go with a 45 or 46T rear sprocket. 2-3 teeth less than stock. Stock carb is good or an Lectron carb of 30 or 32 mm .  NO LARGER.

I have a Powercore 4 and a 32mm Mikuni Flat Slide on mine and it seemed to wake it up a bit on the stock motor as well as a better throttle response.  Starts really easily too.  When I get around to freshening up the top end, I'll probably do the 300 kit.  Suspension is a little soft on mine stock, but I can still ride it quick as or quicker than my Beta.  Mostly because I'm just really comfortable on it.  I'm about to redo the suspension just to freshen, stiffen it up a bit.  Probably going to get Drew Smith(W.E.R.) to do it.

Where in TN are you?  If you're in the Mid TN area, you're welcome to try mine out.

Seriously the stock forks are very very good. DO NOT PUT ON A CRUMMY SET OF USD FORKS.

I would beef up the clutch with HD clutch springs at least. I suggest a 300CC kit. HUGE difference over stock and a noticable improvement over a 280 kit. Stock cam is OK or a Torque cam. Be sure to run the best synthetic motorcycle racing oil that you can get. These engine tend to run hot even stock. I ran Maxima Extra Synthetic racing oil in mine. Changed the oil every 300 miles or so. The stock exhaust is very good with the diffuser pulled out. An aftermarket exhaust will NOT produce more power but may be a bit lighter. With the big bore kit go with a 45 or 46T rear sprocket. 2-3 teeth less than stock. Stock carb is good or an Lectron carb of 30 or 32 mm . NO LARGER.

man u sure don't like USD forks do u lol. They can't be made to work as good or better than conventional forks ?.

man u sure don't like USD forks do u lol. They can't be made to work as good or better than conventional forks ?.

If you have a set of USD forks made within the past 10 years, then they are close to as good as conventional but no better. Conventional forks are much more compliant and forgiving on roots and rocks. Earlier USD forks had huge stiction problems. USD forks tend to blow seals more often also. The only advantage that I see on USD forks is that they flex less on HUGE SX type jumps and less overhang. XR250 and XR400 forks have very little overhang. XR600 forks had a lot of overhang but the forks actually were some of the best forks that I ever used. I can only remember hanging the fork legs a couple times.  SO, if the USD forks are not better then why use them.

Dwight,

Hondo you fix the xr250r suspension, I find the fork in particular horrid :D

I've pulled out a few shims...spring rate is ok. .

If you have a set of USD forks made within the past 10 years, then they are close to as good as conventional but no better. Conventional forks are much more compliant and forgiving on roots and rocks. Earlier USD forks had huge stiction problems. USD forks tend to blow seals more often also. The only advantage that I see on USD forks is that they flex less on HUGE SX type jumps and less overhang. XR250 and XR400 forks have very little overhang. XR600 forks had a lot of overhang but the forks actually were some of the best forks that I ever used. I can only remember hanging the fork legs a couple times. SO, if the USD forks are not better then why use them.

My buddy has a 400 and the conventional forks pimp out, and dam those things work great in the woods, single track, that type of stuff. But like many others have said, in the higher speed stuff, it seems like the USD are better. Grant it I'm a class d rider so by no means should my advice be taken that seriously lol. Edited by dlock5

Dwight,

Hondo you fix the xr250r suspension, I find the fork in particular horrid :D

I've pulled out a few shims...spring rate is ok. .

I think I pulled out 3 shims. I used Maxima 5wt Racing Fork Fluid (similar to a 3wt oil).  Maximum oil level. I put in .40kg fork springs and WER fork extension caps. That way I can Push out the forks about 10mm. I got springs also from WER / Drew Smith.  Back off the compression all the way and go back in 3 clicks. Now ride and adjust to bottom lightly on the biggest hits you are willing to take. THEN, go back in one click. Adjust shock rider sag to 87mm. Adjust the rear to bottom  at same time as the front. Then go in one more click. Service the shock with Maxima shock oil .

The rear shim stack is very stiff on the XR250 shock according to my builder who has it apart right now. Even my very lightly used 01' which had perfect fork bushings shows some wear on the shock piston cushion/seal so might want to check for wear there as well. Stock spring rates very soft for me 200lb. Racecraft springs and Bruce's Terrain tamer mods going on front. I'll let you know how it turns out. Oh yes, XR284 kit from XR's only with stock cam and compression ratios. First race Mar 6. TM34 and stock Muf.

Has anyone tried the XR4 muf on the 250?

Seriously the stock forks are very very good.  DO NOT PUT ON A CRUMMY SET OF USD FORKS.

I would beef up the clutch with HD clutch springs at least.  I suggest a 300CC kit.  HUGE difference over stock and a noticable improvement over a 280 kit. Stock cam is OK or a Torque cam.  Be sure to run the best synthetic motorcycle racing oil that you can get. These engine tend to run hot even stock. I ran Maxima Extra Synthetic racing oil in mine. Changed the oil every 300 miles or so. The stock exhaust is very good with the diffuser pulled out.  An aftermarket exhaust will NOT produce more power but may be a bit lighter. With the big bore kit go with a 45 or 46T rear sprocket. 2-3 teeth less than stock. Stock carb is good or an Lectron carb of 30 or 32 mm .  NO LARGER.

I have a Powercore 4 and a 32mm Mikuni Flat Slide on mine and it seemed to wake it up a bit on the stock motor as well as a better throttle response.  Starts really easily too.  When I get around to freshening up the top end, I'll probably do the 300 kit.  Suspension is a little soft on mine stock, but I can still ride it quick as or quicker than my Beta.  Mostly because I'm just really comfortable on it.  I'm about to redo the suspension just to freshen, stiffen it up a bit.  Probably going to get Drew Smith(W.E.R.) to do it.

Where in TN are you?  If you're in the Mid TN area, you're welcome to try mine out.

Hey I really appreciate your rrsponses.T140 I am in Chattanooga and thanks for the offer but I am picking up an 04 tomorrow. I can relate about being faster on this type of bike.in 08 My Kx blew up a few days before a race so I entered the H.S. on my dad's xr200 which we called the S.R.T.(slow red terd) I passed 52 people in 2 out of 4 laps, lap times were on pace with the overall winner, and I had a big smile on my face having a blast for that whole hour. the end of the shifter broke off so i was reaching down shifting between the only 2 gears needed and a half a lap later the rear brake pedal snapped off so I eventually parked it. The 200 is much lower to the ground and very hard to stop compared to the xr250. While racing my ktm XCs/XCFs/RMs/YZs I would never be smiling, it would wear me down,time went by slowly, and overall I really did not enjoy it.

Hey SRTracing, My friend Adrian , he got the same kind of smile one day when he decided to ride a XR 200 after several rides that we went together he used to ride a very good and ful of power XR 650 R it was a monster but hard to ride in woods and mud as well, but (even it got hot a couple of times) One day he tried the XR 200 and fall in love with it,How handled and light it was.As a result of it  A big smile came out of his face,Lol So,wood/mud was an easy deal for him.

I rode my XR 250 It was so fun.

• Like 1