Sign in to follow this  

XR80 swingarm conversion

Hi all,

I am putting a XR100 swingarm in my 2001 XR80 and have a question about it.  So I know that I need the longer brake rod, chain and the shock off the XR100, but do I also need the 50 tooth sprocket off the 100?  I am planning on leaving the XR80 wheels on along with the stock 46 tooth sprocket and just getting a longer chain for the new swingarm.

Thanks!!

here is the before picture

xr80.JPG

no you don't need the 50 tooth rear. I think they are a different chain pitch and the 100 sprocket will not work with the 80 chain.

Thanks!

I am just going to get the swingarm and shock form the 100 in and ride it for awhile until I find a good deal on a set of 100 wheels, and then I will get the 50 tooth sprocket also.

Waiting for parts to show up!

IMG_2006.JPG

So I just looked into it and they have the same pitch.

420 chain has 1/2 inch pitch

428 chain has 1/2 inch pitch

The difference is the 428 is wider and has a higher working load than the 420.  I guess all I am doing is extending the length of the chain after all so it needs to be stronger.

Thanks!

The part numbers are different for the front sprocket on the 80 and 100, but they are both 14 tooth.  I am wondering what the difference is between them?

Just stick with a 420 chain, since it has less drag. I use it on my built motors and my built CRF150RB.

Awesome, thanks for the help.  Waiting for all the parts to arrive!

Edited by golf1234