Sign in to follow this  

450x starter rebuilt - not starting and getting hot

So I had to rebuild my starter motor.

I changed the brushes and the brush holder. Put it all together and plugged it back up. Pushed the start button and the starter tries to turn over once. But doesn't seem to have enough oomph to start the bike. So I checked the battery and it's all good. Full charge. I then decided to kick start the bike and maybe it'll make a difference.

Kicked it over a few times and it started up. Let it run a few mins. Turned it off and tried the starter button again still tried to turn over but didn't start. So I felt the starter motor and it was hot to the touch. Very hot.

I'm not sure what to do here or where to check next. Any info and ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

I had the same issue and posted here.  https://thumpertalk.com/topic/1031914-starter-problems-brushes-and-continuity/ 

I did a continuity test and determined I needed a whole rebuild kit.  I would suggest you do that test and if yours fails you will need to buy a rebuild kit or a whole new starter.  

I believe Ricks Motorsports sells the rebuild kits and is much less then a new starter.

I had the same issue and posted here.  https://thumpertalk.com/topic/1031914-starter-problems-brushes-and-continuity/

I did a continuity test and determined I needed a whole rebuild kit.  I would suggest you do that test and if yours fails you will need to buy a rebuild kit or a whole new starter.  

I believe Ricks Motorsports sells the rebuild kits and is much less then a new starter.

Thanks for the heads up. Had my carb off so I pulled the starter. Brushes were 1/2 a mm from the copper cord, off to Ricks I go....

thanks for the info. I had a look - pulled the starter off again. I followed the manual and did continuity tests. all were good - as in gave the correct responses whether they had to be continuity or whether they were meant to be no continuity. 

i put the motor back together again and this time connected it straight to the motorbike battery. it turned over slowly. I then thought perhaps it's the battery - plugged it into the car battery directly and it went crazy fast - presuming this means it's the battery wasn't powerful enough and the motor is fine. 

so i put the motor back on the bike and connected it up. put back the tensioner and everything. tried to start and the starter relay clicked. i connected the car to the bike battery with jumper cables and tried to jump start - the motor tried to turn over but didn't have enough juice it seemed. 

i then removed the jumper cables and tried again and this time the relay switch clicked furiously , multiple times as soon as i pressed to start. so I then thought maybe the relay switch is buggered - i tried to bridge the terminals but when i pushed the start button nothing happened. at all. 

i am so confused. the motor works with the car battery - but then doesn't start it with the jumper cables. 

kick starting works fine the engine purrs like a kitten so i am getting highly frustrated with this. the continuity tests were all perfect and i'm guessing this means i don't need a new starter or armature

any advice? 

thanks