Sign in to follow this  

Replaced battery on '05 S -- just clicks when hitting starter

Recently replaced my lithium battery with a Batteries+ Xtreme AGM (https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/motorcycle/suzuki/drz400/400cc/2005).

Mind that i've had problems out of the old lithium battery since day one- always seeming to go dead. Bike has been out in the cold for the past week, and on and off the tender, and so i went to fire it-- chug chug chug click click. Oops, it's dead.

Imagine my surprise when I put the brand new AGM battery in and chugchug clickclickclick. Now when I hit the button, it just clicks once.. no weak chug, despite reading 12.8v from a multimeter with the key on. 

So here I am now, trying to figure out what it is. I've heard stator, starter, solenoid.. all the major electrical S's, but curious what you guys think could be wrong.

Simple check is to jump the 2 large terminals on the relay. An old screwdriver or something you do not care about too much.  It ill make some sparks.  It will narrow down the problem.  If it cranks good it is the relay (or relay control).  If the cranking is poor, it can be a number of things - battery, loose/dirty battery cable terminals, battery cables or starter are the likely suspects.  Not long ago it turned out to be a starter wet inside.

• Like 2

pull the plug in case it hydro locked= fuel in cylinder. Bad things will happen if you force it to turn over

Simple check is to jump the 2 large terminals on the relay. An old screwdriver or something you do not care about too much.  It ill make some sparks.  It will narrow down the problem.  If it cranks good it is the relay (or relay control).  If the cranking is poor, it can be a number of things - battery, loose/dirty battery cable terminals, battery cables or starter are the likely suspects.  Not long ago it turned out to be a starter wet inside.

Figured it out. Tested on both sides of the solenoid, was getting clean 12.6v. Tried to tap, didn't work. So we whacked it with a mallet, and it made a slow noise.

So we took the reduction assembly out and tried again. Didn't work until we gave it a bonk, and only. Sometimes it wouldn't at all.

I assume my starter motor brushes are FUBAR, right?

Possibly. But the last starter I had apart was water soaked and the magnets were loose and rubbing the armature.  Take it apart and see.

• Like 1