Sign in to follow this  

Bogging, Backfiring, and Dying Past 1/3 Throttle

I was out on my 2008 XR650L the other day and I had it wide open on some back roads, full throttle 5th gear. It was roaring fine until I felt it jerk and give out a little. I assumed that I was running it too hard and laid off of the throttle but was thrown for a loop once the bike began refusing to allow me to past half throttle without bogging. I pulled over to the side of the road and let it idle a bit hoping that would clear up the throttle issue. I pulled off of the side of the road and the problem continued, I was only able to get a maximum speed of 40mph before it bogged down again. Once I got back to my house I ran the fuel out of the carb and let it sit overnight. The next morning I started it and it fired right up, but even in neutral it would not go past 1/3 throttle without giving out and dying. It was spitting up gas out of the top of the tank so I thought that it might be a fuel issue and I tried running it without the gas cap but that made no difference. It has been very cold out (I was trapped in the east-coast winter storm), and I thought that the temperature might be the issue but even after letting the bike warm up in the garage, it has not been cooperating with me in the slightest. Does anyone have any suggestions that would help me solve this issue or has anybody experienced this same thing? The only thing I can think to do is take out the carb and spray out the jets with carb cleaner, but I would like to avoid that if at all possible because that's a 1-2hr endeavor.

-Max

If you take off the right sidecover and unbolt the rear brake reservoir , you can barely wrangle the carb out of the right side with the cables still attached. Just unthread the choke nut on the carb and pull the choke plunger out. You'll have to find the sweet spot to get the carb in and out , but it fits. Sounds like lack of fuel as in clogged main jet or sticking float.

Edited by JoeRC51

@brianhare Yeah I'm waking up early to take a look at the carb tomorrow morning.

@JoeRC51 Thanks for the carb removal tip! Ive worked on a couple XR's and getting that damn carb out is a pain every time. I replaced my float pin recently so Im gonns check and see if the float is sticking. Wouldn't a stuck float cause it to idle weirdly though?

The behavior you've described sounds a lot like the behavior that I experienced when I ran my XR650L out of oil.  Except that I kept trying to make it go until I fried the piston and broke a chunk out of the piston skirt.

Check the oil level before you do anything else.  If it's low - like doesn't register on the dipstick - you could have bigger issues than the carburetor.

In the field a crud-blocked orifice, valve, jet can sometimes be cleared by shutting off the gas, draining the carb, rapping it, then turn on the gas, keep rapping, let it dribble, then close the drain.

Sometimes you get lucky this way.

• Like 2

I pulled the carb out of the bike and sprayed out both jets. Neither of them had any sediment blocking the jets and they didnt look gummed up. Hoping for the best, I reinstalled the jets and put the bike back together. It fired right up as soon as I hit the electric starter and I rode it really hard on the streets yesterday and I did not have the same issue. That malfunction was very odd and hopefully it was merely an anomaly. I don't wanna have to take the carb apart everytime I ride  :ride:

There was not any crud in the float bowl. Thats what surprised me. I have one fuel filter for each of my petcocks so thats why I was skeptical that dirt or other obstructions could get into the carburetor. Maybe I shook a small piece of material loose while finagling the carb to get it out.