Sign in to follow this  

Modify XR400 Lower Triple Clamp

Has anyone tried modifying a lower triple clamp to accept bar mounts and using it as an upper clamp? There's no room on the stock set up and aftermarket clamps are spendy. I'm currently using Rox Risers but adding more parts seems counter-intuitive to me.

Just sayin

RK

If you could be more specific with info on what you're trying to do and your current setup, we might come up with a better solution that trying to mod the lower clamp.

What's the problem with your Rox Risers?

There's nothing wrong with the Rox Risers. To me it seems like I'm adding another point of failure by having clamps mounted to clamps. I'm sure they're fine, but something a bit more solid would make me feel better. Since the stock clamps are cast, there is little that can be done to modify the top clamp, but the bottom clamp looks as though with some mild modification, you could add bar mounts.

What do you think?

RK

Won't work. Bottom clamps have a larger inside diameter. The forks are thicker there (larger outside diameter).

Thanks for the quick reply! I will ride happily with my Rox's Risers until I can replace the upper with an aftermarket clamp down the road. They are significatly tricker looking compared to the other risers I was using.

1453828130744598243678.jpg

1453828242716-258120070.jpg

RSW racing makes an upper clamp that won't break the bank. If you crash hard and often though, save up for one of the better units. That's also a good time to switch over to 1-1/8" diameter handlebars if you wanted them.  👍

Edited by michigan400

Judging by the angle of your levers, you're probably as tall as me. I was using the 2" Rox risers set up just like you have them for about 8 months. I just bought a set of tall bars and tilted the risers forward til they touch the top of the forks and installed the big bars. They're 6.75" rise I think. And CR HIGH are supposed to be 4" rise IIRC.

45F052B9-F9E7-4F03-A465-679802B79DA8_zps