Sign in to follow this  

Problem! Any Help Is Appreciated!

Ok, so here is the deal. I have a 2003 YZ250F. I have never had a mechanical issue with the bike since I have owned it until recently. I keep it in a warmed Garage, and I take it for at least a 5-10 minute ride every week so it doesn't sit too long and to keep things fresh in the engine.

I went to ride my bike last week and it started in 1 kick as it usually does. I let it idle for a little less than 5 minutes to let it warm up and I hopped on to take it for a spin. I was riding for about a minute and I was coming to a turn, so I pulled in the clutch to downshift for the turn. When the clutch was pulled all the way in, the bike just died. I was still rolling so I tried to pop the clutch out quickly to try and start it with the rolling momentum. the bike sounded like it was trying to turn over but it just bogged out as soon as I pulled the clutch in again... I pulled into a parking lot to try and start it and I could not start it. I kicked and kicked, and tried a bump start or two and nothing worked, it was dead. I let the bike sit for a few days, I tried to start it and boom! Second kick it fired right up. so I let it idle for 5 minutes and everything sounded normal, and took it out for a spin again. Again about a minute into the ride the same thing happened as the last ride, it died when i pulled the clutch in and I could not start the bike again. Another long walk home....

What could this be? I am a pretty handy dude so I can probably fix whatever the issue is. But even after checking the service Manuals and reading some things online, I don't even know where to begin. I plan on looking at the spark plug and ignition this weekend. But I am asking you guys this... where should I look? What should I be cleaning? should I clean the carb? Stuff like that? ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Lack of fuel (gas tank not venting, or clogged tank filter,  or out of gas, partially clogged pilot jet (replace it)

Lack of spark (plug or plug cap is failing, or stator is failing)

Not jetting, if it runs well at a certain time.

Edited by KRANNIE

Well, I took the gas tank off, and took the petcock off of the gas tank. I flushed the tank and then I cleaned the little filters on the petcock. Then I took off the carb, and tore it all apart. I sprayed carb cleaner in every little orifice, making sure to remove the proper o-rings and what not before I sprayed it everywhere. and i blew compressed air through the same passageways. I put everything back together and fired my bike up. It ran strong and sounded good! Im going to take it for a ride later today to see if I fixed the problem! I have high hopes.

Well guys!!! Your advice seems to have fixed whatever was wrong! I took it for a ride and it seemed to run even better than before! Thanks for the help everyone and thanks for the insight! Getting pumped to do some cold riding 🙂