Sign in to follow this  

New tire option

is 100-100-18 the only size that you can fit respecting the law of your country? 

in europe the bike is street legal with 120/90-18 , in this size there are high performance enduro tires by  pirelli , metzeler, dunlop and michelin.

Edited by 30x26

I just installed a Sedona mx907hp on the 650 and really like it. The sidewall is very stout and it is run at less than ten pounds, Using a tubliss even lower. It should also be a good run flat to get back home next time that happens. Amazon has them pretty reasonably priced also.

Well like clappedoutKX I'm interested in it being a smaller hybrid (part trials, part knobby).  I've been running the IRC ve33 and while tough as snot, when run with the tubliss and 0 psi it looks like a tire with 0 psi LOL.  I really like my VE33, but I've wanted to try a trials tire for awhile now, just reluctant due to the handling difference.  They say that with these hybrid tires, that's not really an issue.  I think I'm going to go ahead and order one up and see how it does,  I'm needing a new tire anyways.

For comparison, the MMH and Equilibrium are 120's. The Mich S12 130 or 140 ( don't remember) I'm currently using on my 300 is equivalent to a 120 because Michelin used a different measuring method or something like that on the S12. For what its worth, my riding partner loves the Parker 110 on his Beta.

Edit: this post was meant for YapYap to say that a 110 is a reasonable size.

Edited by clappedoutkx

Foytix: if you want to try a trials tire, I wouldn't sweat the handling difference. The forward traction is unreal. They do not, however, work well on a flat. Mt 43 or shinko trials are a bit heavier duty than others. Another thing to consider is that they are very tall. I would suggest to you or anyone else to ask there local shop for a takeoff. They have to pay to dispose of them, so you can try one out for free. I'll get back on topic now.

Thanks for complicating my life by giving me another tire option to consider. Now I have to look into this thing.

that's not another option , it's the best option 🙂

shinko , irc and other minor asian brands are not even comparable to the brands i listed above. major brands have better techology and sell proper enduro tyres for woods and mixed terrain. if you want the best grip buy an enduro tire labeled F.I.M and you will enter into another level of performance.

they have much softer carcass , they deflect more over obstacles giving much better traction.  michelin - pirelli - metzeler  , they are all good

in europe we have both: outside tracks 95% run f.i.m. tires, 5%run motocross tires only because they last more.

an "hard enduro-extreme single track tire" has blocks completely different from the picture you posted above. those are a joke, these are tires for serious off-road in mixed conditions

Me-6daysextrem_product_sheet_460x500.jpg

Edited by 30x26

30x26 I wouldn't go as far as saying michelin, pirelli, or metzler are that superior.  Superior in marketing, for sure.  As far as the option I posted it's for a hybrid tire (ie hard enduro / single track specific tire).  Can't say I've seen any of the "big 3" you mentioned making these yet (probably not a big enough market for them).  The top 3 hard enduro riders are using hybrid tires right now.   Motoz has one,  Goldentyre has one,  Shinko now has one.  Hopefully more will start making them as we can all benefit.  

PS Not to knock your example, but a hybrid isn't about how aggressive the knobs are.  It's more the fact that they are combining a knobby tire with a trials tire.  IE super sticky, will cling to anything, yet you can still have your knobby handling characteristics.  

I'm also not saying this tire is great, haven't tried it yet.  I did just order one though.

I've used tires made by IRC, Michelin, Pirelli, Metzler, Dunlop, Maxxis, Vee Rubber.  So far my favorites have been the IRC VE35/VE33 combo,  the Pirelli XC Scorpions, and the VEE rubber GNCC Tackee tires.

• Like 1

I just installed a Sedona mx907hp on the 650 and really like it. The sidewall is very stout and it is run at less than ten pounds, Using a tubliss even lower. It should also be a good run flat to get back home next time that happens. Amazon has them pretty reasonably priced also.

We have been using same tire,on our fleet bikes,we run them at 6psi.I think you could run it flat.No chunking so far.Its a bitch to put on.So sorry that our beloved IRC ve33 and vr35/and GEO max.All the knobs fly off,tires have over 3/4 tread on them.Bummer when I cant run them blad.

Sorry to hear about your IRC problems.  I haven't had those yet problems yet, but I also run east coast tight trails (much slower going and probably more forgiving terrain).  I like to run my tires at 4 psi with a tube, and around 4 front and 2 rear with the Tubliss system.   I was (as was just about everyone else) having issues with the VEE tackee tires separating along the sidewalls.  I was told it was due to the dual compounds separating and that they have fixed the issue.  Time will tell as I'll be using a new front VEE to try with the Shinko rear.

30x26 did bring up a good point. Some of the bigger brands use a flexy-er carcass to build traction through square inches of footprint. Works well.

I suspect some of the people reading this thread are, like myself, interested in very stiff sidewalls so we can finish a race on a flat (I ride NC harescrambles, so the speeds are usually low, at least for me). I can also ride out a flat to the truck when play riding and not have to worry about major tire tools in my pack. Using Tubliss at very low pressure makes up for the stiff sidewalls tractionwise. Some of the lighter tires work amazingly well at 10psi or with mousses, just not what I am looking for. Another consideration is "gummys" with wide spaced tread wear crazy fast, since their sticky compounds are very hard terrain focused, but spaced for swamp. Worst of both worlds in my opinion, unless you get a new tire every week. For the rest of us, it may be smarter to have a wheel with a sticky hard terrain tire for rocky races and another with a mud tire.

To say tires from Mich, Pirelli, Dunlop are beyond comparison is a bit silly. I absolutely hate the S12 rear in clay mud (or rocks above 2psi) and many disliked the MX51 front (including me, but not bad enough to swap before it was worn). The MX32 is the only Dunlop I hear good things about around here, and for good reason; its a great front, and a pretty darn good rear. The Sedona 907, IRC M5b, and Shinko 520 come highly recommended from Slavens, Tubliss, and at least one poster on another forum that tested several tires. I can believe the lesser known brands make a few bad tires, but at the very least they get lucky from time to time with some models. I'll probably be trying this new Shinko, just not sure when yet. If I hate it, I'll just cut a bunch of sipes in it and head to Uwharrhie at 2psi. Perhaps not the best attitude, but thats what happened to the S12.

It could be in Baja.Yes we have plenty of walking speed trails.Plenty of rocks/plenty of Hi Speed.Some pavement,That has to wipe out the ve33.With 6psi.but how come the others don't chunk.My MT43 trails tire,lasts over 2 years 6psi.No chunking,out performs any dirt bike tire.Don't get caught in red clay with it.The 400X18 fits good on my 230.

The top 3 hard enduro riders are using hybrid tires right now.   Motoz has one,  Goldentyre has one,  Shinko now has one.

what riders are you talking about?

giants like Walker or  Jarvis usually run a tire similar to the one i posted above .

for example goldentyre  216x is one of the more used during the  Hard Enduro championship in Europe.

it has an extremely soft carcass (and obviously compound) , and it's similar to the one i posted above.

the hybrid tire posted above cannot deal with clay or mud or high lean angle (look at the position of external blocks), for me it cannot considered an all around tyre.

i was at the Hell' Gates 2015 and there was not a single hybrid tire  

jarvis the winner of the last 2015 event in turckey

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by 30x26