Sign in to follow this  

better bolts for rear sprocket

Man I hate the stock bolts on the crf250l rear sprocket. Whew feels good to get that off my chest. The service manual has them specced to 37ftlb torque but those crappy he bolts strip in a gentle breeze. Anyone have a good fix for this other than keeping 12 on hand? To save time so far I am buying a new hex bit each sprocket swap so I'm not using junk off the bat.

Edited by michaelg131

Man I hate the stock bolts on the crf250l rear sprocket. Whew feels good to get that off my chest. The service manual has them specced to 37ftlb torque but those crappy he bolts strip in a gentle breeze. Anyone have a good fix for this other than keeping 12 on hand? To save time so far I am buying a new hex bit each sprocket swap so I'm not using junk off the bat.

somewhere around here someone posted a sleeve and bolt kit that allows us to use normal tapered 8mm bolts ... I should have save that info or search hard to find it again. 

• Like 1

somewhere around here someone posted a sleeve and bolt kit that allows us to use normal tapered 8mm bolts ... I should have save that info or search hard to find it again. 

Guessing something like this tapped into place?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Wear-Resisting-SF-1-Self-Lubricating-Bearing-Bushing-8mm-x-10mm-x-12mm-/151543525958?hash=item2348b2b246:g:N7UAAOSwqu9VUeNC

something like that but also came with sprocket bolts .... it is kit to mount a normal sprocket on our hubs. I messed up because I could have asked for 8mm holes when I had my hubs built ...  🤦

something like that but also came with sprocket bolts .... it is kit to mount a normal sprocket on our hubs. I messed up because I could have asked for 8mm holes when I had my hubs built ...  🤦

Yeah the force isn't with me tonight nothing is turning up, I just pony'ed up $35 more dollars to CRF's only to order 6 more bolts...

Yeah the force isn't with me tonight nothing is turning up, I just pony'ed up $35 more dollars to CRF's only to order 6 more bolts...

Never give up ... never surrender !!! ............   🤣

http://www.xrsonly.com/ironman-sprocket-bushing-kit-xr600r-88-00-xr650l-93-14

Hats off to the Ironman Sprocket people (Dirt Tricks)!  They made a bushing kit just for XRs Only.  This bushing kit will allow the XR600R or XR650L to adapt the Ironman rear sprockets from the CFR/CR models spockets series!  The bushing kit reduces OEM 10mm hub to 8mm.  Allow use of any standard Honda sprocket and 8mm countersunk bolts.  Now the XR600R and XR650L have a larger selection of rear spocket sizes.

FITS: XR600R (88-00) XR650L (93-14)

INCLUDES: Bushings, Bolts and Torque Seal

398_zps23302202.jpg

Edited by gnath9

Never give up ... never surrender !!! ............   🤣

http://www.xrsonly.com/ironman-sprocket-bushing-kit-xr600r-88-00-xr650l-93-14

Hats off to the Ironman Sprocket people (Dirt Tricks)!  They made a bushing kit just for XRs Only.  This bushing kit will allow the XR600R or XR650L to adapt the Ironman rear sprockets from the CFR/CR models spockets series!  The bushing kit reduces OEM 10mm hub to 8mm.  Allow use of any standard Honda sprocket and 8mm countersunk bolts.  Now the XR600R and XR650L have a larger selection of rear spocket sizes.

FITS: XR600R (88-00) XR650L (93-14)

INCLUDES: Bushings, Bolts and Torque Seal

398_zps23302202.jpg

Bookmarked and shaking fist at the heavens for $35 ($18 of which is shipping...) Thanks a ton.

• Like 2

Bookmarked and shaking fist at the heavens for $35 ($18 of which is shipping...) Thanks a ton.

Ken is good people ... you can email him and cancel. Keep in mind with this kit you will need a new sprocket with 8mm tapered holes like for a CRF450R .... Also when using these bolts it is harder to find smaller sprockets. The purpose of this kit is to get more common larger sprockets in many colors etc ... 

Edited by gnath9

I don't see any issue with the stock ones.  :excuseme:

Now the front sprocket, that's a different story.

Me either but, this kit is cool and allows us to run the Ironman sprocket or a TwinRing or even one of them cool colored ultralight Renthal's not offered for our bike ...   👍 and a guy could probably find any particular tooth sprocket he wants all the way up to a 53  ....  :banana:

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1

Me either but, this kit is cool and allows us to run the Ironman sprocket or a TwinRing or even one of them cool colored ultralight Renthal's not offered for our bike ...   👍

I got the 42T Renthal ultralight, they're made to order, takes about 3 weeks, but I chose black color to go with my bike, it feels uncomfortably, scary light, it's like it's made from styrofoam, I was worried about how long it's gonna last, we'll see. :D .

I know with the sleeve kit you can choose from many more sprockets but that wasn't really what michaelg was talking about, he was inferring the bolts aren't strong, heck mine were very tight to come off & I put em back on just as tight. :D

Edit, Oops, no it's not the ultralight, God, I can't imagine a lighter sprocket than the one I got, it's this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Renthal-Special-Colour-Rear-Sprocket-36-46-Teeth-to-fit-Honda-CRF-250-L-2013-15-/361178812023?hash=item5417ef4e77

Sprocket.png

Edited by <Ian Nicoll/>

I got the 42T Renthal ultralight, they're made to order, takes about 3 weeks, but I chose black color to go with my bike, it feels uncomfortably, scary light, it's like it's made from styrofoam, I was worried about how long it's gonna last, we'll see. :D .

I know with the sleeve kit you can choose from many more sprockets but that wasn't really what michaelg was talking about, he was inferring the bolts aren't strong, heck mine were very tight to come off & I put em back on just as tight. :D

Edit, Oops, no it's not the ultralight, God, I can't imagine a lighter sprocket than the one I got, it's this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Renthal-Special-Colour-Rear-Sprocket-36-46-Teeth-to-fit-Honda-CRF-250-L-2013-15-/361178812023?hash=item5417ef4e77

📎Sprocket.png

Is that a Renthal ? .... mine looks just like yours with both bolt sizes but, mine is silver. I have a 48 black Renthal TwinRing I would like to get on my bike with a 14 up front but I would have to buy a new chain and I have a new gold x-ring on it now ... maybe I could sell it as it is cut to a 13/44   ...  :thinking: 

I posted what I posted for the OP as it is a way to put steel bolts on if one changed his sprocket .... I did not look around but XR'sOnly probably or might have our style of bolts in steel ...  :excuseme:   That place is the place to go for XR600/650L and R's stuff ... and we share the same rear sprocket type. 

• Like 1

Is that a Renthal ? .... mine looks just like yours with both bolt sizes but, mine is silver. I have a 48 black Renthal TwinRing I would like to get on my bike with a 14 up front but I would have to buy a new chain and I have a new gold x-ring on it now ... maybe I could sell it as it is cut to a 13/44   ...  :thinking: 

I posted what I posted for the OP as it is a way to put steel bolts on if one changed his sprocket .... I did not look around but XR'sOnly probably or might have our style of bolts in steel ...  :excuseme:   That place is the place to go for XR600/650L and R's stuff ... and we share the same rear sprocket type. 

Yes, Renthal, follow the eBay link in previous post. 😉

I was running 13/42 for a while but since I am almost 100% street I found it too high geared, so now I'm back on 14/42 & lovin it. Got the new Shinko 705 tires on her too. 🙂

Ian&#39;s_CRF250L_7.png

Yes, Renthal

I have the same sprocket in a 44 from CRF'sOnly 

I would like a 18 inch front wheel the same width as the rear and run the same size tires on both ends for that flat tracker look ....  :ride:    i think that would be a cool looking street setup 

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1

I have the same sprocket in a 44 from CRF'sOnly 

I would like a 18 inch front wheel the same width as the rear and run the same size tires on both ends for that flat tracker look ....  :ride:    i think that would be a cool looking street setup 

I wanted the front a little wider but unfortunately they just had the 90/90. Maybe next time.

• Like 1

I wanted the front a little wider but unfortunately they just had the 90/90. Maybe next time.

It looks good .... Like an urban assault vehicle ....  :shocked:

post-445023-0-89380200-1453821536.png

• Like 3

I have the Renthal 42 as well. My rub with the stock bolts is that honda recommends 37ftlb torque on a hex head even rocking a new hex bit every time I'm having a hard time reaching spec torque, maybe I'm being too analysis about it. I will probably swap to the kit gnath mentioned. I plan to rock 14 42 myself I just fiddle a lot and at 35 bucks a sprocket swap I'm getting a bit bothered by it.

I have the Renthal 42 as well. My rub with the stock bolts is that honda recommends 37ftlb torque on a hex head even rocking a new hex bit every time I'm having a hard time reaching spec torque, maybe I'm being too analysis about it. I will probably swap to the kit gnath mentioned. I plan to rock 14 42 myself I just fiddle a lot and at 35 bucks a sprocket swap I'm getting a bit bothered by it.

You do know you loosen and tighten from the nut side right ... the hex side is just to hold it from spinning