Sign in to follow this  

KTM Demo Ride Day -- Buying a Demo Bike?

How bad are the bikes abused at the Demo Rides? I have not personally been to one and I am curious how trashed an MX bike could get at a Demo Day. I am looking at buying a bike from a dealership that I suspect was used at a Demo Ride. The Dealer claims to not know the story behind the bike, but that it was sent to them from KTM claiming to have 10 hours on it. If this bike were used for more than one demo would it have more than 10 hours on it?

Does anyone have any experience buying a demo bike from a dealer? Or any tips or tricks I can use to get more of the back story on the bike.

Any insight would be great!

Thanks,

-Eric

PS. The bike is a 2015 450 SX-F. One other thing I can't figure out is that the bike has black swing-arms.. Anyone know why this may be, or what bike they could have been swapped from.

The bike most likely has an anodized swingarm. I do not know how the condition of demo bikes are but most likely the riders are gonna try to see what they do rather than being careful with them like they would with there own bike. Check wear spots like the clutch cover, scratches, foot peg wear, the grips and tires (if they're stock the bikes have relatively no time but demos may not use stock tires) and scratches on the muffler to see if it's been crashed very much

But are you getting a good deal on the bike? Why are you interested in the bike? Is it in great condition and like new?

• Like 1

The bike most likely has an anodized swingarm. I do not know how the condition of demo bikes are but most likely the riders are gonna try to see what they do rather than being careful with them like they would with there own bike. Check wear spots like the clutch cover, scratches, foot peg wear, the grips and tires (if they're stock the bikes have relatively no time but demos may not use stock tires) and scratches on the muffler to see if it's been crashed very much

But are you getting a good deal on the bike? Why are you interested in the bike? Is it in great condition and like new?

I've spent some time at the dealership already giving it a good once over and most everything shows little to no wear, but it is obvious that things have been replaced (rear fender, wheels, tires, swingarm?) and I haven't made up my mind whether or not that is a good thing or bad thing. Its good that these are new parts, but potentially bad for whatever reason they were replaced.

They are asking $7800 for the bike which I don't feel is a great deal, but they are willing to negotiate the price and are looking to sell. I am in the market for a new bike and was hoping to find a "new" 2015 left over at the dealership but this bike was all that they had.

They want 7800 for a demo 15 450?? LOL. Not that a demo bike is a bad thing, they will take a punishment. 

On that note... I wouldn't pay 7800 for a demo 16 450sxf let alone an older generation. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't take it if I were you. Especially for a 2015. The new ktm's are so much better in every way I would highly recommend you buy one. Unless you don't care. But if you search around at different dealers you will find a BRAND NEW bike rather than a "new" demo bike especially for that kind of cash. Read the reviews on the new 2016 ktm 450 sx-f and the update lists and then decide for yourself if it's worth it or not to get a 2016 or not. And because the 2016s are so nice I'm sure there are 2015s left that are less wanted. And if you considered used there are a lot of 2015 owners that have or want to upgrade to the new model and have a 2015 they need to get rid of. Search around I'm sure you'll find an amazing deal somewhere but sometimes you have to be patient. Remember, is a couple weeks sooner of owning a bike worth the next however long you have that bike if it turns out a less than stellar bike? But you shouldn't have any trouble with even a used 2015, it's just that a 2016 would be your best bet for sure

Hi for what it's worth I bought a 15' demo 350 xcf in August. It was also ridden some by the shop manager who is a friend of mine. The bike had 54 hours on it when I picked it up and showed very little wear. The bike now has 90 hours on it and it has been absolutely wonderful and bulletproof. Best bike and my favorite that I have ever owned. I do feel that price leaves much to be desired though. I paid 7k otd for mine. So far I have done nothing to the bike other than oil changes, suspension fluid changes with seals once, tires, brake pads, chain and sprockets and a trail tech fan kit. Excellent bike and I ride with the same shop manager and owner often. They always bring new bikes and as much as people say about these 16's and how they are so much better..well my opinion is that I like the way the 15 looks more and I prefer the way it feels when I sit on it as opposed to the 16. Also the ktms have also had a different feel than jap bikes and with the 11-15 bikes I like that feel and now I think the 16 feels more like a japanese bike. I won't be selling my 15 to get a 16 or 17 anytime soon. I guess all I'm saying is the last gen. In my opinion is still and awesome package.

Oh and I rode the woods models when I went to the demo this year but all I can say is I would still buy a demo as long as the price wasn't to bad because for every guy that could put a beating on a bike there was 5 that made it look like all they do is flame out..

Edited by yzrider383

I doubt that it's a "demo days" bike.  Those bikes will pick up 8 hours in one day, and while they were ridden hard they are also maintained by expert mechanics ~ they have to be because of the liability.

No, I think that this bike came from someone that had some level of factory support.  Why else would the swingarm be anodized black and loaded with new parts?  If the price is within your budget and you like the bike, make the dealership squirm on price and maybe a free valve clearance check and "take it".

I bought a "10" hr demo bike and wouldn't do it again. When I took it apart to inspection and grease the first time I did a top end after about 25 hrs that I did the top end looked like it had at least 100 hrs on it, the tires were mismatched which I didn't really care but it had aftermarket bars which was weird also. But live and learn

Is that 7800 OTD? If not I wouldn't do it unless they come down on the price.

Also the swing arm may have the powerparts swing arm protector on it, they're black?

Edited by PTECH

depends on the dealer, bought one with 10 hrs on it was like brand new, 140 hrs later not one issue bikes are made to be riden hard new is a lot more money, unless that is not an issue! do it. bikes rip.

I bought a "10" hr demo bike and wouldn't do it again. When I took it apart to inspection and grease the first time I did a top end after about 25 hrs that I did the top end looked like it had at least 100 hrs on it, the tires were mismatched which I didn't really care but it had aftermarket bars which was weird also. But live and learn

There's a difference between a "Demo" bike and a "Demo Days" bike.  The Demo is just a bike that your dealership had available for the local riders to try out ~ it didn't need to be maintained to a factory spec.  A Demo Days bike has to be kept "stock" and in good working order for a number of reasons, least of which is that legal problems could come about if something happened and a lawyer found out that the bike had been modified with non-stock parts. 

But your experience clearly sucks, that's one reason why I'd never buy a used 4 stroke that didn't have an hour meter before it left the dealership.

• Like 1

There's a difference between a "Demo" bike and a "Demo Days" bike. The Demo is just a bike that your dealership had available for the local riders to try out ~ it didn't need to be maintained to a factory spec. A Demo Days bike has to be kept "stock" and in good working order for a number of reasons, least of which is that legal problems could come about if something happened and a lawyer found out that the bike had been modified with non-stock parts.

But your experience clearly sucks, that's one reason why I'd never buy a used 4 stroke that didn't have an hour meter before it left the dealership.

It was a weird situation because the bike came with original paperwork that stated it was sold to me from the dealer "AS NEW" with remaining ktm warranty and my name was the first name on the title. I have a good relationship with this dealer and ended up buying another new bike from them. I did get a good deal on it tho. It was a 2011 250sxf and I got it for $4995 and i never had a problem with the bike, i just felt like it had more hours than was quoted, but no he meter so it was whatever. Just wish I could have had at least matching tires haha

I doubt that it's a "demo days" bike.  Those bikes will pick up 8 hours in one day, and while they were ridden hard they are also maintained by expert mechanics ~ they have to be because of the liability.

No, I think that this bike came from someone that had some level of factory support.  Why else would the swingarm be anodized black and loaded with new parts?  If the price is within your budget and you like the bike, make the dealership squirm on price and maybe a free valve clearance check and "take it".

I don't think it came form a rider with support from the dealer because they say the bike has never been registered. Also, they claim to have purchased the bike from KTM at a discounted price and are now selling it at their dealership. The bike did not come from the factory to this particular dealership to begin its life, but was purchased recently by the dealership to be sold to the public.

I don't think it came form a rider with support from the dealer because they say the bike has never been registered. Also, they claim to have purchased the bike from KTM at a discounted price and are now selling it at their dealership. The bike did not come from the factory to this particular dealership to begin its life, but was purchased recently by the dealership to be sold to the public.

Something just isn't right.  The black swingarm didn't happen by accident, and a 10 hour bike that's never been registered showing up with a bunch of new parts seems odd too.  Clearly that bike has some history, no one seems to want to talk about it (or they don't know).

But if the price is right I'd buy it.

Something just isn't right.  The black swingarm didn't happen by accident, and a 10 hour bike that's never been registered showing up with a bunch of new parts seems odd too.  Clearly that bike has some history, no one seems to want to talk about it (or they don't know).

But if the price is right I'd buy it.

They are claiming not to know the history. So the next question becomes what is the right price? $7000 OTD?

As best as I can tell, 7k OTD is a good and fair for both you and the dealer in my area (west Michigan). 

In Australia, some shops were selling demo day bikes.

The prices asked were an OK, not great, deal. I would have been tempted.

They hadn't done much work. I can guarantee one was ridden pretty gently for one of the sessions. 🙂

Really, in an 8 hr day, they wouldn't do more than 5 hrs engine time. Lots of the riders were like me. (Old and slow). Even riding the bike "hard" for a few laps is just what the thing is designed to do.

The original tires were in place, with only moderate wear on the rear.

Unlike a private sale, it's unlikely the air filter has been put in wrong, or some other damaging mtce error.

As others have already said. Get a KTM 2016 450, it's light years better than anything KTM has ever made before it.