Sign in to follow this  

Steering Stabilizer

A must in the desert. 1st thing to add after suspension is setup. I never had one on my 08 YZ450, but did when I went to 2-strokes. When I got my FX, I had to wait about a month before I had the mount. You really notice it when you DON'T have one. 

I always ran one on the two stroke, but I don't feel the FX i'm riding now needs one at all.

Same with me, although I bough the mount and installed the stabilizer before I figured out I didn't need it on the FX. I've always run one, so I naturally assumed it would be good on the FX. It's not. It slows down the outstanding handling and, unlike most bikes, you rarely miss it at higher speeds in difficult terrain.

If anyone wants to conduct the same experiment, let me know, I have a nearly brand new Scotts underbar mount that's just gathering dust.

TBH I probably woulda never bought one. However, I bought an 800 dollar WR250f back in 2011 (it was an 01), it already had the scotts on it lol. So, I sold the WR the following spring but kept the Scotts. Found a mount cheap, so I threw it on haha. The only downside for me is I have the upper mount, so, it is kinda right up there. Cut my bar pad around it, and so far no issues with it up there. I really dont want to do an under mount because I dont want to raise my bars an inch. I am shorter (5-8ish) and run a low bend...and I doubt I can go up an inch at the mounts and find a bend that keeps my bars where they are and where I like them.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

I have used steering dampers for years and absolutely want one.  Not so much for dealing with high speed head shake, as higher speeds are not typical for where I ride.  But, what I like the damper for, is to greatly reduce those sudden handlebar movements from situations such as tapping a tree or catching a rock/root/rut.  Without a damper, when I hit these things, the bars can get ripped right out of my hands.  But with a damper, it's like for that short moment in time, that the bike is welded semi-solid.

I have mostly used the WER (Works Enduro Rider) damper over the years.  They might look sort of crude perhaps, not easily swapped from one bike to the next, and they can be a shop project to mount sometimes.  On the positive, the WER damper is mounted by the front fender, which allows handlebar position to be adjustable.