Sign in to follow this  

KTM 530 EXC

First of all new to the site,  A bit of an introduction I started of with a Yamaha PW50 to a Yamaha YZ60 (yes a YZ60 awesome little bike for its time) I took a hiatus from bikes and went to riding quads, Yamaha warrior 350 (Shattered both bones in my left forearm) Turned 16 cars and trucks became more important,  I later got a 91 KDX 250 for a trail bike,  Nice bike but too tall and heavy for my taste for trail riding in tight areas.  I have raced motocross (went to a couple mx schools)  And have done a fair amount of trail riding.  I am 5'9 (175lbs) with a 32" inseam and most bikes are a little tall for my liking.  I have rode 2 different CRF450Rs and a handful of other bikes that always seem a bit tall.  I can ride them just fine but in steep ground and tight trails I like to be able to put a foot down without halfway laying the bike over.  My KDX had the adjustable rear shock which I had on its lowest setting which helped ride height but made it ride like a bumper dragging 90s lincoln town car. 

I have been off bikes for about 5 years now and am looking for a good size/hp street legal bike that I can trail/desert ride for fun.  I really like the KTM 530 EXC or older 525 but 38" seat height is not going to work for me.  I can drop the forks in the clamps a bit as well as the rear shock and a lower seat will help but not quite what I need to get it down to 34-35"  where I would feel most comfortable,  The 251lb curb weight on these concerns me as well.  Lowered would help that but I am wondering if I would be better well suited with a competitive 450?  Anyone out there my height riding a 525/530 or something similar and what all have you done to make it more comfortable to ride? Input is appreciated.

Josh

I know that you can lower the 530s.  When I bought mine, it had been lowered at the dealership for a 5'8" rider.  That deal fell thru so the put it back to stock height for me when I bought it..I'm 6'3" so the stock height works for me.  Awesome bike btw, love mine.

• Like 1

I know that you can lower the 530s.  When I bought mine, it had been lowered at the dealership for a 5'8" rider.  That deal fell thru so the put it back to stock height for me when I bought it..I'm 6'3" so the stock height works for me.  Awesome bike btw, love mine.

Good to know, how long have you had yours?  And what kind of fuel range do you see trail and hwy?

I've had mine 3 years, been a great bike. It gets decent mileage on the trails, don't know about the hiway, don't really track it because I don't ride much hiway.

I've had mine 3 years, been a great bike. It gets decent mileage on the trails, don't know about the hiway, don't really track it because I don't ride much hiway.

Gotcha good to know,  Have you had any issues with it or complaints?

I have a 2010 530 XCW that has been converted to street legal with a dual sport kit. Coming off of a WR250R the 530 is a beast and a ridiculous amount of fun. It has done a 100 mile dual sport ride with ease but really loves getting into some fast two track stuff. I don't have a desert to open her up in but in the sands of New Jersey she was great. If you do a lot of single track then the 530 may be a bit big. I found myself tiring pretty quickly trying to tame the beast on single track. She has also tackled the local mx track and perfrom better then anticipated. Overall maintenence has not been bad. Just did a oil pump upgrade that was recommended on the 08-11. A new countershaft seal is in order. I did have to do a torque limiter fix as the starter was not performing up to par which from what I have read is a bit of issue on the 08-11s. Overall a great bike for just about any type of riding and would shine in a desert environment. If you can make her fit for you she won't disappoint.

• Like 2

I have a 2010 530 XCW that has been converted to street legal with a dual sport kit. Coming off of a WR250R the 530 is a beast and a ridiculous amount of fun. It has done a 100 mile dual sport ride with ease but really loves getting into some fast two track stuff. I don't have a desert to open her up in but in the sands of New Jersey she was great. If you do a lot of single track then the 530 may be a bit big. I found myself tiring pretty quickly trying to tame the beast on single track. She has also tackled the local mx track and perfrom better then anticipated. Overall maintenence has not been bad. Just did a oil pump upgrade that was recommended on the 08-11. A new countershaft seal is in order. I did have to do a torque limiter fix as the starter was not performing up to par which from what I have read is a bit of issue on the 08-11s. Overall a great bike for just about any type of riding and would shine in a desert environment. If you can make her fit for you she won't disappoint.

Awesome good to know,  What is the reason behind the oil pump upgrade and the torque limiter fix?  The one I am looking at is an 08 that has been garaged and has minimal hours and wear on it.  I am looking forward to running a KTM they seem to be a real quality bike.