Sign in to follow this  

Stick pipe coloring

I picked up a used 2011 250SX last fall. It has the stock pipe and PC shorty silencer. I went riding this weekend and noticed the part of the pipe coming out of the cylinder, and out around the bend on the left side started to get a slight purple color. Almost like it got really, really hot. Will the chrome on the stock pipes do that if they get too hot? Would too lean of jetting cause this? It seems to run fine. It has a Slavens head, 38mm carb, suzuki needle (I can't remember which one off hand) and a PC shorty silencer. Jetting is 40/170 and we were riding at about 500' elevation.

The only other thing I can think of is the last time I had it out, it was hauled on a trailer on wet roads to get where we were going. Because of icy roads they put mag chloride as ade-icer and that got all over the pipe. And then baked on during the ride. I scrubbed with WD40 and sos pads/superfine scotchbrite to get it off. But I'm wondering if maybe the WD40 residue could have been the cause of the coloring after this ride?

I don't mind the coloring of the pipe, but if its a condition from running too hot I want to figure it our before something goes wrong. This is my first 2 stroke after many many years on 4 strokes so I'm still learning the tricks.

Edited by ShortRider873

Thats happened to my 250 sx as well, on an FMF, PC and stock header. My jetting is darn near perfect, it just lets you know you're on it! Nothing to worry about

• Like 1

Thats happened to my 250 sx as well, on an FMF, PC and stock header. My jetting is darn near perfect, it just lets you know you're on it! Nothing to worry about

Ok, good to know. I think my jetting is pretty good as well. I may go up one size on the MJ on the next ride just to see how it does.