Sign in to follow this  

How to adjust camber 400EX

So I guess you adjust toe-in and toe-out by adjusting the tie rods, right? But how do you adjust the camber? My front left tire is significantly out at the bottom. Is this just an adjustment or do I need to start ordering parts?

My quad was sitting for a little bit and when I went to start it it makes a weird clicking noise out of the air filter and usually dies. It has done it ever since I've had it and I've even rebuilt the carb. If I ride it for a little bit the clicking goes away, but I don't want it to do it at all. I think it might be lean on the slow jet, but I'm not sure. It's almost like back firing. When it does this it usually dies, but if it doesn't die then the idle will drop quite a bit.

Dirty low end jetting. Since the orfice is so small in those jets, they are hard to clean so I would replace them.

I agree with NYMXer. I had a 3 wheeler that was doing the same thing. I cleaned the carb repeatedly and the issue persisted. I just couldn't get the low jet right. I ordered new jets. Issue fixed.

When I start my quad there is a ticking noise. I have properly adjusted the valves and they are in spec. I have replaced the Tensioner and there is still a ticking noise...one thing, It doesn't do it all the time it mostly does it on start up. When I was rebuilding the motor the chain seemed in pretty good condition (I put it on the sprocket and there was no free play between the teeth and chain). I have no idea what else could be causing the noise.

It is somewhat normal for a cold engine to tick a little until the oil warms up and does it's thing. Maybe you just need to change the oil for a more cold weather suited weight? Is it stored outside or in a cold garage?

I think your tie rod(s) are bent or out of adjustment. Check them by measuring the front and back of the front tires. Set up is really about personal preference, but I like a 1/4" toe out for high speed stability and low speed sharp turning

cold garage, but I just did a rebuild and changed the oil.

What weight oil? Maybe just your nerves playing w you or parts wearing in???

Okay, one problem solved but we still have a few more to go based on your other threads, lol

• Like 1

There should be a lock nut you can loosen and adjust that.

Sorry, I think a couple of threads got mixed in here. Are you referring to making the adjustment on the camber? If so, where are these lock nuts?

I think your tie rod(s) are bent or out of adjustment. Check them by measuring the front and back of the front tires. Set up is really about personal preference, but I like a 1/4" toe out for high speed stability and low speed sharp turning

The tie rods are straight. I took them out and rolled them on a flat surface. It's not toe in/out issue I'm having it's with the lean top to bottom (camber). Any ideas?

Your a arm bushings or ball joints are shot. There is no adjustment on stock a arms.