Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Dungey, Champ to Legend

ThumperTalker's, if you like this idea, let's talk it up. If don't like it, tell me why.

If I were Ryan Dungey..., I would be absent from Sx for a race or two, and I'd go race the MXGP race in Patagonia Argentina, April 10.

Why Patagonia? Because the track is a good track. It's the definition of chocolate cake, and it's only the second year the Europeans have raced there. It's not "home turf." It's neutral turf.

Why do it all?
--- To compete against the best of Europe, at least once a year, while Dungey is in his prime. (Poto had the right idea, but he went for it after it was too late - for his career and mental state.)

--- To make Supercross 2016 interesting. Dungey can miss one or two races this year completely, and he can still win Sx! If he happens to miscalculate, and he ends his career with one less Sx title, will his legend status be tarnished? I don't think so.

--- To make Mx 2016 interesting. MXGP was abuzz last year because of RV.

--- Dungey needs to write his own ticket. This is about building into becoming a legendary rider. It's not about making money (in the direct sense.) My guess is that KTM corporate won't smile on the idea. I think that corporate strategizes to create strong winners in every class and every series, and then it's "keep to the plan, son."

Well, Dungey will be more of the "fan's racer" if he were to mix it up. Dungey is good enough to be this maverick. He's the only one in Mx today who could pull this off.

--- I know that Dungey is focused on Sx right now. A little (or a lot) of MXGP is something he might consider in the future. I say do it now. Do it while you are at your best. Be the Legendary Ryan Dungey. A third Sx championships is not what creates a legendary racer in 2016. Mix it up with the Euro boys. Show yourself to be the worlds best Mxer in 2016. You have to create interesting race scenarios. Do the stuff that gets fans excited.

Edited by Hendricus

i don't mean this to sound like I'm flaming you.....

but please explain why Dungey would possibly give even the tiniest bit of a &%$#@! about MXGP?  Especially if it meant missing one or two SX races and spotting his competition 25 to 50 points?  Do you have any idea what kind of $$ in championship bonuses he would risk pissing away to go race a meaningless race overseas?  He's also risking getting hurt in Europe with nothing to gain from it, and the SX title to lose.

RV got his ass handed to him over there, in part because he didn't take the testing seriously enough and didn't race any Euro races before MXGP started. Nobody from over here is just going to show up to a MXGP race with their USA suspension settings and be anywhere close to where they need to be.   

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 9

I think it'd be something big if dungey went and had success in mx1 , especially with villopotos outcome fresh in our minds. Won't happen though, dungey doesn't have the stones imo or the desire to do it

• Like 1

i don't mean this to sound like I'm flaming you.....

but please explain why Dungey would possibly give even the tiniest bit of a &%$#@! about MXGP?  Especially if it meant missing one or two SX races and spotting his competition 25 to 50 points?  Do you have any idea what kind of $$ in championship bonuses he would risk pissing away to go race a meaningless race overseas?  He's also risking getting hurt in Europe with nothing to gain from it, and the SX title to lose.

RV got his ass handed to him over there, in part because he didn't take the testing seriously enough and didn't race any Euro races before MXGP started. Nobody from over here is just going to show up to a MXGP race with their USA suspension settings and be anywhere close to where they need to be.   

Okay..., you are providing reasonable enough reasons not to do it. My rebuttal:

(1) Money: Dungey would risk Sx champ bonus money. Point taken. But as a fan (from a fan's perspective), I'm not all that interested in how much money a racer makes. I want to see the best of the best racing in close competition. I can appreciate the money motivation, but that's not my motivation.

I would also argue that Dungey has made plenty of money already in this sport. He's successful. How much more does he need to make? As a racer that can easily win another sx championship, I would think that The Dunge might be thinking about his name, his legendary name, in the big picture sense.

(2) Risk of getting hurt: That risk is there every practice, heat race, and race. But you are right, the risk is higher when you leave the tracks, and fellow riders too, that you are most familiar with.

(3) Meaningless race oversees: I don't see it this way. MXGP is very much world class motocross. American racers already enter the Euro events, such as, mxdn & mxgp - Glen Helen. I want Dugey to lead the way in a new way of making the overall mx season more interesting. I think the right formula of a top dog such as Dungey jumping around a bit, could tick up the interest meter. I know it would for me.

As well, spotting the sx b-group a week or two of points is pure sportsmanship. Because, this year (and last) there is only one a-group rider. By mid season he will be untouchable, and we all will be yawning the rest of the season. Ooh! Tomac or Reed get a win in week seven. Big deal.

Edited by Hendricus

Dungey is the chump champ. 

Notice in the Anaheim-2 main, Dungey checks out. He's 4-5 seconds out in front in no time. The camera barely picks him up. Hey! FOX sports has bills to pay. They need to follow the next closest group of riders. Dungey is going to pick up his check in May, same as the security cop at the stadium - just make'n the rounds til quit'n time.

Edited by Hendricus
  • Like 1

If I was Dungey, my attitude would be, "If you guys can't bring me a race, I'm jumping down to Argentina to make this year more interesting, for me AND the fans. Give you guys a week (or two) to catch up."

Dungey has lost championships due to running out of gas and a derailed chain. He isn't going to mess around until the SX championship is a lock.

RC never went to race MX1. He never let off when he started pounding the competition. He just racked up the wins and became a legend.

Maybe you should ask Kawasaki to send Tomac to race MX1. I'm sure they will be receptive.

• Like 6

Dungey has lost championships due to running out of gas and a derailed chain. He isn't going to mess around until the SX championship is a lock.

RC never went to race MX1. He never let off when he started pounding the competition. He just racked up the wins and became a legend.

Maybe you should ask Kawasaki to send Tomac to race MX1. I'm sure they will be receptive.

Dungey is going to lock this one up soon, I'm sure we agree on this. And once it's locked, (even three weeks before it's locked, but you see it coming), sx (and mx) is still fun to watch, but a good part of the excitement is over.

I get that what I'm proposing is risky and unconventional. I get the the formula to legend in sx is as you say, and as RC has done. But..., as a fan that wants to watch some exciting mx (and sx) this year, my formula is a winner. I'm telling you it would work.

ThumperTalker's, if you like this idea, let's talk it up. If don't like it, tell me why.

.... You have to create interesting race scenarios. Do the stuff that gets fans excited.

Stay here and race this series he signed up for.....but bring one of those fine 2strrokes to a race.

KTM is all about 2cycle motored machines.

The industry loved pre-mix.

One of the tracks has to be at least doable on an SX250.

A top ten would be good enough to keep ontop of series points.

KTM brass would be AOK with it. 

There would be TONS of TV time on it.

TT would go nuts for it and all the talk.

He would probably still podium.

Coo

• Like 5

The end of the SX season is when you get into everyone else's head about the upcoming nationals. Nothing leases you a special place in another racer's head like putting an absolute smack down on him for a few weeks straight. Racing an MXGP would get him out of the competition's collective head... not where he needs to be.

Edited by ThumpNRed

Dungey was the 5th best guy in the 2011 SX series. People should stop with this revisionist bullshit about a derailed chain guide that he caused by running into canard. Everyone else had more issues than Dungey because they were in intense battles for wins all the time

Dungey was the 5th best guy in the 2011 SX series. People should stop with this revisionist bullshit about a derailed chain guide that he caused by running into canard. Everyone else had more issues than Dungey because they were in intense battles for wins all the time

Dude, your hate on for Dungey is pathetic. 

The guy wins. The guy went to a brand that was NOWHERE and helped develop not one, but two new bikes... the first one not being anywhere near what he needed to take the fight to RV. The guy has changed EVERY part of his program to get better and win. He has also stayed incredibly healthy, and has a consistency unlike anyone, ever. 

If you have a problem respecting that, then it just shows what kind of idiot you are. Nobody said you had to like the guy, but to consistently post the crap you post is humiliating as it just outs you as a hater who either ignores significant parts of the story to suit his needs, or manufactures one as required.

It's all very tiresome. 

Edited by MediumDriver
  • Like 7

The suggestion that he misses a round of SX and does a round of the MXGP indicates a serious lack of understanding regarding the level of preparation required for either series. (If the rider is to be competitive.)

• Like 2

Dude, your hate on for Dungey is pathetic. 

The guy wins. The guy went to a brand that was NOWHERE and helped develop not one, but two new bikes... the first one not being anywhere near what he needed to take the fight to RV. The guy has changed EVERY part of his program to get better and win. He has also stayed incredibly healthy, and has a consistency unlike anyone, ever. 

If you have a problem respecting that, then it just shows what kind of idiot you are. Nobody said you had to like the guy, but to consistently post the crap you post is humiliating as it just outs you as a hater who either ignores significant parts of the story to suit his needs, or manufactures one as required.

It's all very tiresome. 

OUCH!  That even hurt my feelings  😏 

• Like 2

Another idea (almost as good).

Tom Brady skips a Patriots game and goes and plays a game for the Canadian Football League.  It's only one game, the Patriots would have probably gotten into the playoffs anyway, and it would show everyone he's the best in North America.

No, wait, that idea is no better than the first one... 🤦

• Like 6

Dungey would not for a second not try and back last year up. All he ever says is that he needs to back up a championship to prove to himself he can do it. And I know in the back of his mind he is mad RV got 4 in a row.