Sign in to follow this  

Modded Yz250 or 250sx?

I'm looking to buy my first ever brand new bike and can't decide to go ktm or yamaha. The beat deals I can find on a 2016 bike is $8100otd for the yz or 9600otd for the sx. What would you guys pick a stock 250sx or a yz250 with $1500 in mods?

Unless you race competitively, why would you need to invest 1500$ in mods?

The YZ has better suspension right off the showroom floor,

and do you really need the KTM's hydraulic clutch and Brembo brakes for your usage?

That saved 1500$ helps in consumable items during a riding season (tires, chain, sprockets, spare air filters, gas/oil)

Edited by mlatour

Neither. KTM looks to have a better 250sx for 2017. If you want a KTM, I would wait a year.

If you really can't wait, there are clean used YZ250s all over that can be bought for pennies on the dollar over a new one and you could dump a few bucks into one and have it better then anything new.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replys guys. I do plan on racing whatever bike I choose and want to have the most competitive bike I can get for a 10k budget. I currently have a x factory rockstar 450 but I'm sick of doing motor jobs on it and want to make riding fun and simple again by going back to a 2 stroke.

Here's a pic of the 450

Screenshot_2016-01-26-23-53-39-1.png

I do less maintainence and spend less money on my 450 than what I did my kx250 2 stroke. Take care of the bike and it'll always be cheaper than a 2 stroke

• Like 1

A stock 450 will long outlast a 250 2t...

It will last longer but when things start happening it's undoubtedly way more expensive and much harder to work on. Also, there are much less things to go wrong with a two stroke; no electronics, cams, timing chains and valves. Yes spark plugs foul and you have to jet the bike but it is the trade off some prefer over the fear of electronic bugs. Mixing oil is the equivalent of changing oil but four strokes have filters you have to worry about and two stroke have gear oil that still has to be changed (but not as often). But a catastrophic two stroke failure would maybe cost you $1000 max on a two stroke where a similar four stroke failure can cost upwards of $3000. And there's no doubt that it's much simpler to do engine work on a two stroke vs. a four stroke.
  • Like 2

It will last longer but when things start happening it's undoubtedly way more expensive and much harder to work on. Also, there are much less things to go wrong with a two stroke; no electronics, cams, timing chains and valves. Yes spark plugs foul and you have to jet the bike but it is the trade off some prefer over the fear of electronic bugs. Mixing oil is the equivalent of changing oil but four strokes have filters you have to worry about and two stroke have gear oil that still has to be changed (but not as often). But a catastrophic two stroke failure would maybe cost you $1000 max on a two stroke where a similar four stroke failure can cost upwards of $3000. And there's no doubt that it's much simpler to do engine work on a two stroke vs. a four stroke.

Your argument is made on a total failure. A crank, pistons, cylinder, powervalves and cases on a 2t will cost considerably more then a $1000. All things being equal, a 4t, a 450 will double the life of a 250 2t, maybe when triple...

Someone on TT did a 450 vs 250 2t comparison cost over a year, the difference were within a $100 or 2, not that costly as most people think...

I'm not buying a two stroke just to save money I just think they are way more fun and I love how much lighter they are. I would agree that a stock 450 is pretty bullet proof but mine is a full blown factory Supercross bike. Has a cut cylinder and requires custom milled pistons every 20 hours. Just ride forfun now and want something I can rebuild myself.