Sign in to follow this  

Upcoming back surgery... Still plan on riding.

So, next week I'm headed in to have my l5-s1 fused. It's a segmental fixation with plates. I do plan to continue riding, just not sure how long it will take to ride again. Any one have any stories to share?

My fusion of L3-4 was in October and I was riding without discomfort in March of the next year. Avoid hard landings and crashes, of course.

This means no MX or hard trail riding where your spine gets shocks or compression.

That's good to hear. I never was big on mx. A few enduros and hare scrambles a year. Also hillclimb. I'm a bit more worried about kicking the cr500 than much else. Maybe I can get doc to wrote me a prescription for a new push button KTM.

My biggest suggestion is to follow rehab to a T!  Your therapist will help you establish as much range of motion and strength as possible.  Depending on how your body responds to this therapy, you can implement cross training and riding.  The goal is to move without pain first, add load - evaluate the pain level and then adjust your training efforts accordingly.  Please keep in touch with me here on TT and I would be happy to guide your efforts.

-Coach Robb

I had part of my l 5 disc cut out. Pinched nerve. I was only 28 at the time,43 now. It changed my life took a few months to get back to 100 %. I joined a gym and started lifting and jogging after rehab and Dr release. Although I don't jog near as much (knees don't like it much) I still do cardio 5 to 6 days a week and still lift. I had a 92 KTM 550 at the time. I had surgery in may that year. Needless to say I didn't do any hard riding that season but i did ride some towards the end of the year.Just be patient do the rehab and listen to your body. I don't have any serious or have had any serious issues since. Just soreness from time to time nothing that keeps me from doing anything. I believe working out and keeping my weight in check has been the best thing for me.

Update...

Should have done this sooner, but you know, life... So had the surgery on 2-4, came home on 2-9. Surgery was about 8.5 hours long, and let me tell ya, the next day, I felt it!!! But the evening of the surgery leg pain was gone and I had a ton more strength in my right foot. By day 3 in the Hospital I was up and walking, and it was excruciating!! The first week at home sucked, but I was getting around with out assistance, although getting in and out of bed and off the toilet was miserable. By week two I was going out to breakfast a few days a week.

Fast forward to now, about 6 1/2 weeks after. I'm up and around doing whatever I want, minus bending lifting or twisting. But I'm out shopping or running errands as I please. No long car rides, or periods of sitting for that matter. Laying flat on my back is still the only time I'm pain free, but apparently that's to be expected. I'm up to walking about 5 miles or so a day.

I go back on 4-11 to see if the fusion is stabilized enough to start physical therapy. I'm assuming there will be 3-4 months of that.

That's the jist of what's going on, for anyone interested (coach Robb). As of now I feel as it was beneficial and successful. I'm hoping to be riding by October, time shall tell.