Sign in to follow this  

Street legal kdx. Whaddya gotta do?

I've been wanting a dual sport bike for a while but I love two strokes. So my question is what do I have to do to make a kdx street legal? Obviously signals lights and dot tires but does it need to be titled from the factory as a road bike or can that be switched? Can they even be street legal? Any help would be great. I'm from good Ol Illinois btw.

You can get any bike registered thru the state of Vermont and be able to ride it on the street. They do not title bikes under ~300cc's so you won't get a title unless you get the VT registration then transfer it to your state immediately.

No you do not have to be a state resident. Just go to the VT DMV website, print out the necessary forms, fill them out, calculate tax, send in paperwork and a check for the tax/registration amounts, and in 2 weeks you should receive a registration, followed by a license plate a few days after that.

I just kept my bike registered in VT because I had already paid the reg and tax for year, plus you do not have to get yearly inspections in Vermont!

• Like 1

You can get any bike registered thru the state of Vermont and be able to ride it on the street. They do not title bikes under ~300cc's so you won't get a title unless you get the VT registration then transfer it to your state immediately.

No you do not have to be a state resident. Just go to the VT DMV website, print out the necessary forms, fill them out, calculate tax, send in paperwork and a check for the tax/registration amounts, and in 2 weeks you should receive a registration, followed by a license plate a few days after that.

I just kept my bike registered in VT because I had already paid the reg and tax for year, plus you do not have to get yearly inspections in Vermont!

That's crazy haha I'll look into that.

Don't look into it! Just do it! If the bike is pretty old, you only have to fill out 1 paper and not the odometer disclosure.

Trust me, I have done this personally within the last 6 months.

I could register my KX250 if I wanted to.