Sign in to follow this  

My First Bike - 1997 KTM 620 LC4?

Hey everyone,

Quick background...I've dirtbiked a handful of times and am looking to get into dual sports. I'm taking my M1 class in about a week and have started looking at bikes. I'm a mechanical engineer and lead a student off road vehicle racing team in college at cal poly so I'm good with my hands and mechanically. 

Looking at a 1997 KTM 620 LC4 for $1800. Currently registered and says it starts up first time and idles well with around 7500 miles. Essentially I'm wanting input into if this is a good deal and would be a good starting bike. The way I see it, it's a good price point to get into the sport and a solid starter to tinker with and figure out what I do and don't like. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks all!

That's a big, heavy beast. If you are planning to ride pozo type trails, it will be a handful to say the least.

I'm 6'2" and 225lbs so don't mind the bike being a bit taller. I'm looking mainly for road and trail bike (dirt fire roads and back roads), not necessarily a technical single track trail bike. I am an avid mountain biker and have experience on a dirt bike, and am comfortable on a bike. Do you think this is an alright bike for this type of riding? There are a few newer KLR's out there but they are over double the price, and if you look to a newer KTM thats getting to the $5K plus price range. Looking forward to trying some of those roads out!

I had a 00 LC4 640 Rallye and a 02 LC4 Adv, both the same engine. 

The front wheel tend to break spokes on the earlier models, not sure if it was b/c of the USD forklegs combined with larger diameter front disc. 

The LC4 is a great engine, just difficult to get parts. The earlier model might only come with centerstand, sans sidestand. 

Keep up the speed and the WP suspension will allow you to flow through the trails, but it's not a trail bike to learn on.